Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Saw back bayonet

Article about: Hi i got hold of a German saw back bayonet today, I know little about these, so after a bit if info, it appears to have two makers marks one being H.MUNDLOS & CO MAGDEBURG and on the oth

?

Default Saw back bayonet

Hi i got hold of a German saw back bayonet today, I know little about these, so after a bit if info, it appears to have two makers marks one being H.MUNDLOS & CO MAGDEBURG and on the other side is Deutsche Maschinenfabrik A-G Duisburg . Also has date stamp 17. Any info would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Saw back bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Default pics

a few pics, as you can see it has seen some action.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Saw back bayonet   Saw back bayonet  

Saw back bayonet   Saw back bayonet  

Saw back bayonet   Saw back bayonet  

?

A very respectable S98/05nAmS or more commonly known as a "Butcher blade". From the date and Royal cypher, you know that it is Prussian. Also, Mundlos is the actual maker and Maschinenfabrik A-G supplied them with the blade. One of my favorite bayonets, every collector should have at least one.

Nice find,
    Jim

Beautiful bayonet....

Yup it's a good one!......

?

Thanks for having a look and leaving comments and info.
    I have seen one with just the Maschinenfabrik A-G stamped without the mundlos stamping on a dealers site, is it less common with both or just the one. I was lucky to come across the bayonet as it was in retro furniture/ clothing shop. I came across it a week ago along side a nice British no5 bayonet, I only had the cash for one and went for the no5 (now posted on here) had to wait a week and hope it was still there when I went back today, paid £130 , hope about right.

they are a rare blade now,well done.

?

It's in nice condition. These saw a lot of use and they are hard to find in better condition than this. I would be happy to pay what you paid in Australia but not sure what they usually go for in the UK

?

Maschinenfabrik A-G was one of the biggest maker/supplier's of the S98/05's in WWI, so they are fairly common. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is right now, but you rarely see an S98/05nAmS go for less than $300 US. I think you payed a fair to low price for it.

Jim

?

One of my favorites as well! Congratulations!

Adler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast