Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Saxon IR100 Officer M1895 Pickelhaube

Article about: This arrived in the mail yesterday. Hope you enjoy it. A nice near mint Saxon vulcan fiber Officers M1895 1st Leib Grenadier Regiment helmet (aka IR100). IR100 was part of the 23rd Infantry

MAP
    ?

Default Saxon IR100 Officer M1895 Pickelhaube

This arrived in the mail yesterday. Hope you enjoy it.

A nice near mint Saxon vulcan fiber Officers M1895 1st Leib Grenadier Regiment helmet (aka IR100). IR100 was part of the 23rd Infantry Division, which was part of the XII Army Corp.

Correct German silver hardware, non removable flat chinscales fitted with split brad rosettes. Typical with Saxon haubes, the spike it taller than other kingdoms. Spike screws off for travel/storage. Cockades are typical Saxon officer style with non serrated edges. Left Cockade is the Kingdom of Saxony and the right is the correct Reichs Cockade.

Still a few riddles to be unraveled. Primarily the name "Thespis" and the meaning of the "117" on the visor and leather. Both the Thespis and 117 are written in the same ink and is actually a flat grey when viewed from a slight angle. Script of the 117 is old German style too. Thespis is an ancient name from classical Greece (he is considered to be the worlds first actor hence the word Thespian). Some thought that this might have belonged to a Costume Prop company, but I am leaning against that (for now). If the 117 is a unit, then it makes no sense. The 117 infantry Division was only formed in 1915 from Silesia. But this being an IR100 haub it was under the 23rd "ALL Saxon" Division...So lots of investigation needs to be done.

The structure of the 23rd in Aug 1914 is as follows.... (similar to pre-war) . And this is assuming this was used in WW1 which is not a given. The helmet was made in January 1895 as can be seen from the paper tag.

1. Infanterie-Brigade Nr. 45 (45. Infanterie-Brigade)
    1. (Leib-)Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 100
    2. Grenadier-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preußen Nr. 101

2. Infanterie-Brigade Nr. 46 (46. Infanterie-Brigade)
    Schützen (Füsilier)-Regiment Prinz Georg Nr. 108
    16. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 182

3. Husaren-Regiment Nr. 20
    1. Feldartillerie-Brigade Nr. 23 (23. Feldartillerie-Brigade)
    1.Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 12

4.Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 48
    1. Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 12

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Saxon IR100 Officer M1895 Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

?

That is a beauty Michael.
    Love that starburst wappen,

Nice photo's

Semper Fi
    Phil

Stunning Pickelhaube.
    It would be near impossible to upgrade that one.

I have always preferred silver hardware.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is a beauty Michael.
    Love that starburst wappen,

Nice photo's

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Stunning Pickelhaube.
    It would be near impossible to upgrade that one.

I have always preferred silver hardware. My dream haube is
    a Bavarian officers with a scaled chinstrap and fluted spike--all in silver.
    Thanks Gents. I'm enamored with the German Silver examples as well. The Vulcan Fiber shell really has stood the test of time hence why it looks so new. The leather bits on this example are still soft and flexible. Surprising after it being 126 years and 1 month old! LoL

I like the Bavarians with their fluted spikes as well. Maybe one day. Next up I will be searching for an Artillery / Kugel or a steel Jager/Kurassier with scalloped back.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice one Michael! but you missed something! see detail in pic!

MAP
    ?

ROFL...spit my drink out funny!!

It took me a bit to figure it out.

Quote by MAP View Post

It took me a bit to figure it out.
    Tough one to see as it isn't stamped in properly!

TWS
    ?

Brilliant, stunning piece Michael!

I'd propose that "117" is a roster number, not a unit. Either that of the soldier or a property book number of the theater costumer.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Brilliant, stunning piece Michael!

I'd propose that "117" is a roster number, not a unit. Either that of the soldier or a property book number of the theater costumer.
    Thanks Todd. Lucky I got it. Seller is a fine gentleman.

Been having lots of discussions on the 117 and the consensus is that it is not a regiment or division (there was a 117 Hessian regiment and a 117 Silesia Division but neither were remotely associated to the 23rd Division. The theater angle was discussed too, especially given the "Thespias" name. But was is leaning me away from this is the ink and style of writing. The ink color is actually grey and looks like iron gall ink and the style of writing appears to me to be Germanic. Neither of which I would expect to see from theater costumer supplier....unless of course it was a costume supplier from the very early 1900's.

A roster number sounds interesting but would that be put on a private purchase officers helmet?

I don't think we will ever solve this problem.

?

At first I thought maybe it was your SHOES in the reflection

But then I had to turn it sideways and zoom in,

Nice touch Rene'

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast