Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Skull and stalhelm pin

Article about: Hello again everybody a seller on the German eBay is selling these two pins in a ww1 lot, I already sent these on WAF before I joined here and the guy there seemed to think there both period

Default Skull and stalhelm pin

Hello again everybody a seller on the German eBay is selling these two pins in a ww1 lot, I already sent these on WAF before I joined here and the guy there seemed to think there both period but that doesn't prove anything. I would like to have your guys opinions before I attempt to message the seller on buying it.

Skull and stalhelm pin Skull and stalhelm pin

?

The pin looks good but the skull is questionable. I'm always uneasy with these skulls with solid backing reminiscent of a cast piece. Overall it looks pretty interesting however the pictures are really not clear enough to show proper detail. The skull actually looks more like this type as worn by Chetnik forces and these are wildly faked. Although I've never actually seen one other than photographs so it's hard to say for sure. This is typical of the type of skulls found on ebay.

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pinSkull and stalhelm pin

I know on the red forum they made reference to a Freikorps cap with a similar skull but that one is quite different and seen on the Assmann sample board. I actually have a thread about that cap.

Freikorps Cap

If you peruse Stonemint's excellent threads on the subject matter you"ll see that a variety of Danziger skulls were used on Freikorps caps

Freikorps & Paramilitary Headgear (non-ShB)
    Regards, Al

Thanks Al that makes perfect sense I probably wont be picking these up then, the skull has good detail in the front but the back is dubious as you said I will continue looking though I did find a good Austro Hungarian skull Kappenabzeichen from a seller but I'm trying to see if he will sell it individually as its in a lot. Once I get my hands on it ill post it here but it looks good to me. The hunt continues!

?

These are examples of Leskovac Fakes courtesy of the GMIC forum. Although that first pair of pins look appealing. You can see some minor similarities. This is what you normally encounter on ebay.

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pin

And This is a skull I bought on ebay that turned out to be a fraud as well

Skull and stalhelm pin

Skull and stalhelm pin
    Regards, Al

Yep it’s hard to say it’s almost like a minefield.