Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stunning Iron Cross Goblet

Article about: Added this beautiful piece to my collection. I'm not sure if it's glass or lead crystal as it's very heavy. It measures about 5 1/2 inches tall, and the opening at top measures around 3 1/2

Default Stunning Iron Cross Goblet

Added this beautiful piece to my collection. I'm not sure if it's glass or lead crystal as it's very heavy. It measures about 5 1/2 inches tall, and the opening at top measures around 3 1/2 inches.
    This also look to be hand cut/carved but I'm not expert. That is why I'm on here! The Iron cross looks to be hand cut/carved, and the wreath and floral design goes all the way around the goblet.
    So not sure if it's glass? Crystal? But a beautiful cranberry color that shines. Not sure about the floral design, if it's hand caved, etched as well? Thank you for any input you can share!

Stunning Iron Cross GobletStunning Iron Cross GobletStunning Iron Cross GobletStunning Iron Cross GobletStunning Iron Cross Goblet

CBH
    ?

Beautiful goblet, I believe this is referred to as Bohemian Glass.
    Very nice patriotic item.

Thank you for the input. That gives me something new to research. i appreciate that!

CBH
    ?

No problem, glad I could help.

MAP
    ?

Nice interesting item. I have one from the TR period (very different style / look). Jury is out on authenticity of them as there is no way to prove when they were engraved. Mine was a Vet Garage Sale pick up so I'm in the camp that it was legit and a "patriotic piece" like Chris notes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

- - ------- - -

Nice Bohemian crystal vase!!! It's hand carved, not etched, congrats for this fine object!! to Map: maybe you want to show yours!

Best regards

Nacho

Thank you for the replies. I've been researching Bohemian crystal. Somebopdy was talented with the hand carving. I wish there was a makers mark of some sort on it. No knowing where/when it was produced?

It is called an overlay whereby the goblet was made in clear glass & then covered in the Ruby coloured glass. The engraver would then "cut" the design back through the Ruby Glass to produce what you see today. It sounds very simple but the glass in it's molten form is well over 1000 degrees. You then have to engrave it & one mistake & it's in the bin! It could have been a plain Ruby overlayed Goblet that somebody has acquired & had engraved but the skills to engrave the design are considerable. I was going to suggest looking at the foot- the base where it sits on the table for a myriad of scratches. It may have been cherished in a cabinet & of course a glass of the same period would still have the same scratches. For what it's worth I would say it is a period piece engraved at the time but by whom or where is another question.

I forgot to say, but you said it is heavy so it suggests Lead Crystal. Lead is added to Crystal as is easier to cut than

Beautiful carving for sure, and lots of scratches on the bottom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stunning Iron Cross Goblet   Stunning Iron Cross Goblet  

Stunning Iron Cross Goblet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast