Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?

Article about: Does it look good?

Thank you for the information, the helmet has gotten a fresh coat of something, but I dont think it was painted yesterday as the paint looks little bit old inside the helmet. Also the liner, looks very weathered and is very dry in some places. I have found some kind of marking for some kind of unit or something outside the liner pad. I will take more pictures to show what I mean. But other than that the helmet is a really solid Shell with no holes or previous patching done.

Best regards Kai

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?
    P
    Many

Maybe it was used after WW1 as a guard helmet in Austria, as the paint looks to old to have been applied recently, aswell as the paint type looks like antireflection coating.

This is the information that I got when I bought the helmet.

After dissolution of Austro-Hungarian Empire and after Treaty of Peace (St. Germain, 20th July 1920) Austria was allowed to establish new Army (Bundesheer) counting 30000 men. To their equipment mainly helmets M17 coming from WWI were used. Because of their poor condition these helmets were supplied with new liners and chinstraps and repainted.
    „Garde battalion Wien“ was one of troop of this new establied Austrian Army. Decal applied on this helmet was used up to 1935, then was replaced by metal double-headed eagle symbol on helmet head.

It shows some age but its not 100 year old Leather.

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?
    Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?

?

duplicate -- deleted content
    Last edited by FtrPlt; 07-05-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post

?

The information provided by the seller is correct. These WW1-era helmets continued in use after 1918 in the new Austrian military. I have seen this configuration of leather chinstrap and liner before. Definitely not WW1 but it is the correct configuration of a helmet used in the interwar period.

BGB continued production after 1918 but I am not familiar enough with these to tell if there is a difference between the markings on pre-1918 and post-1918 helmets

As for the shield? The center looks like a Swiss flag. The gardebattalion shields that I have seen do not have this. They are normally horizontal stripes red-white-red.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2