Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?

Article about: Does it look good?

Default Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Does it look good?

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?

Any info or history is nice 👍

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?
    P
    Many

Hello Kaikun,

This is an original Austrian shell but is lacking the expected wear and patina of one used during WW1. An obvious lack of wear from a helmet that would have been handled numerous times post WW1 regardless of being used in combat. The paint is not of the correct texture for this type of helmet which were painted in a smooth olive/brown, sometimes known as Isonzo brown. But certainly there would have been a variation in shades between manufacturers. Hard to tell from the photos but it might be that the outer shell is lightly pitted all as well.

The liner and chinstrap are not correct for this helmet and should have a linen chinstrap while the liner tongues should include metal eyelets for the string to pass through. The emblem on the side appears to be an attempt at an Imperial Austrian double headed eagle cypher. A fantasy embellishment that would not have been seen on Austrian helmets on the WW1 battlefield.

This example is not an authentic WW1 period Austrian M17 Helmet. See below for a closeup of the type of the colour, patina and wear I spoke about above.
    Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?above.

Andy

Vent lug looks a bit odd to me.... very "blocky"

or is that just an Austrian thing?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post

Large sized vents on this one Dan, 66 I would say. I’m not sure which if any made shells in 68.

I know what you mean though about the shape.

Quote by Danmark View Post

It's an Austrian thing Mate, here's my size 66 same maker.

Thank you for the information, and yes the texture of the helmet appears to have some sort of grainy texture(I am guessing anti reflection coating). Should I try to remove the coating or the decal. To give it a better look?.

Also forgot to mention that there is writing in the dome of the helmet, and near the chinstrapmounting it says BGB 66 or 68. But other than that is it a nice helmet?

Best reagrds Kai

Can't really comment Kai, mine's a WW2 refurb

"But other than that is it a nice helmet?"

The liner also looks to be a reproduction. A nice helmet?, Well it depends if you want something original, or happy with someones restoration project, and price should reflect that fact.

Hello
    Yes, I would say it's had a birthday make over.....
    Looks way too clean, liner and strap is a giveaway
    Attached is my example showing color and stamping to the top of the crown. (Not uncommon with Austo lids)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?   Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?  

Thoughts about M1917 Austrian helmet with decal? Is it authentic?  

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    Thank you for the information, and yes the texture of the helmet appears to have some sort of grainy texture(I am guessing anti reflection coating). Should I try to remove the coating or the decal. To give it a better look?.

Also forgot to mention that there is writing in the dome of the helmet, and near the chinstrapmounting it says BGB 66 or 68. But other than that is it a nice helmet?

Best reagrds Kai
    Kai, BGB stands for the manufacturer BrĂĽder Gottlieb u. Brauchbar Brunn who made shells in size 66 only.

Yes, it’s a nice shell but sadly no longer in original condition. Are you able to return it?

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast