Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

trench art "flyers" knife?

Article about: Gentlemen, Thought I'd post this interesting knife for comment. It's *very* well made, very solid, top quality work. Blade is tempered with almost perfect geometry, and about 25% thicker tha

Default trench art "flyers" knife?

Gentlemen,

Thought I'd post this interesting knife for comment. It's *very* well made, very solid, top quality work. Blade is tempered with almost perfect geometry, and about 15% thicker than your typical WWI German trench knife. Handle appears to be airplane prop laminate. Insignia looks to be of the German type, but cut sheet brass. Aerodrome shop trench art?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture trench art "flyers" knife?   trench art "flyers" knife?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement trench art "flyers" knife?
    P
    Many

IMO, this blade pattern is not usually found on German trench knives.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

That prop&wing kind of looks Americanish in design.
    Found using my Bing Fu!!!!
    Cool looking knife.
    I do like the handle.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The scabbard bears some similarity with German tradition, as does the cross bar, but the hilt and blade are something else. Phil's spot of the insignia may be a clue to this being a veteran's shed project, perhaps from parts of another knife.

thanks for the comments. Here’s where my thinking is a bit different than what’s been proposed so far: The blade is a type known to certain Hirschfangers. The scabbard (which is a precise fit to the blade) is of a type likewise found on Hirschfangers. Photos herewith illustrate the stout double edged Hirschfanger above captioned, along with a 1908 Eickhorn catalog showcasing near identical scabbards. The insignia on the handle is an exact match in style and proportions with German aviation shoulder board insignia (see additional pics for examples). It’s pretty clear the piece was a Hirschfanger and was at some point modified.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture trench art "flyers" knife?   trench art "flyers" knife?  

Attached Images Attached Images trench art "flyers" knife? 

Possibly but the wood hand grip is certainly not usual for the type and of course various hirschfanger types were made post WW2 so very difficult to date.

?

I see you posted the wing prop insignia.
    After our esteemed member Aldo had just posted about a Assmann Totenkopf he picked up, he posted this page from the Assmann & Sohne catalog.

When I saw the image in the lower right corner, It hit me that it is the pattern on that knife you posted.
    So came back to post this , But you already have the real thing posted. Yes they are a match and I would say yes it patterned after the German designed and not Yank related Prop&Wing.

But since I saved the image, I'll post it anyway!!!

Copied from Aldo's post:
    I hope you don't mind Al

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I see you posted the wing prop insignia.
    After our esteemed member Aldo had just posted about a Assmann Totenkopf he picked up, he posted this page from the Assmann & Sohne catalog.

When I saw the image in the lower right corner, It hit me that it is the pattern on that knife you posted.
    So came back to post this , But you already have the real thing posted. Yes they are a match and I would say yes it patterned after the German designed and not Yank related Prop&Wing.

But since I saved the image, I'll post it anyway!!!

Copied from Aldo's post:
    I hope you don't mind Al

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Al's gonna be pissed Phil!

As to the knife........ Anything "touched" and modified like a field made item will always be open to interpretation as to the who, when, where...but I would think based on the circumstantial evidence, that I'm leaning towards Mark's view. As to when? who knows.

What are the measurements. Is it similar in length to the Hirschfanger image you posted? (question directed to Mark)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)