Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Trench Mace - new find

Article about: Trench Mace 1.bmpTrench Mace 2.bmp Apologies for the lack of attendance to the site. I have recently acquired what looks to be a trench mace. It was purchased from a woman in Germany who can

Default Trench Mace - new find

Trench Mace 1.bmpTrench Mace 2.bmp

Apologies for the lack of attendance to the site.
    I have recently acquired what looks to be a trench mace. It was purchased from a woman in Germany who cannot tell me much about it other than it was amongst a selection of relics in a house clearance.
    Would anyone be able to tell me if this could be authentic or not?
    It looks to have been made from a pick axe handle and the nails have been cut off crudely to make the spikes.
    I took a chance on it as it was only approx £20, so those of you who have seen these things come up for sale will know how cheap this was.

I was going to have a go at cleaning it up, but wanted to get your expert advice on whether it is better left as it is before I ruin it. But maybe some careful rust removal and a gentle treatment of the wood would keep it going for another hundred years.

Any help much appreciated as limited information other than a few museum photos to go on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trench Mace - new find
    P
    Many

Default Re: Trench Mace - new find

Terrible photos, can you take some better ones? Its hard to make any comment based on the images you have, cheers.

And use the picture up-loader of the forum, so nothing gets lost!
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

It looks like the end of a washing line pole....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.