Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Two Imperial German Postcards

Article about: I am looking at these two Imperial German portrait photos that I own, and noticed that they look awfully similar. Are these not the same person? Many of the facial features seem to match up

?

Default Two Imperial German Postcards

I am looking at these two Imperial German portrait photos that I own, and noticed that they look awfully similar. Are these not the same person? Many of the facial features seem to match up looking at them side by side. Am I going crazy here?

Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben.

They look very similar to me too!

Kind regards,

Will.

I agree with you and Willmore! To me they look one and the same, right down to the ears.

Yep same fella, the ears are the best method to tell.

There is no doubt for me: the same ears, the same lips and nose and the same somewhat lost look... maybe in Flander trenches

Regards
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 05-12-2022 at 11:37 AM.

I agree Santi regarding the “lost look”. In the first one he has a sad look, and the uniform he is wearing has a more worn and tired appearance so I’m thinking a wartime photo too. In the second photo he looks somewhat more youthful and hopeful.

Witt! This is quite a find. Any further information about where these are from? Were they purchased together?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 05-12-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Predictive text typos.

?

Thank you all for replying and confirming my suspicions.

I present them in all their glory.

The story of these is somewhat funny, Andy. Five years ago, I had bought a lot of 6 postcards on eBay, 5 portrait cards and 1 Sanke postcard. It was not until two days ago when I was scanning them into my online collection that I realized (these) two might be related. Somehow in five years I never noticed that the two looked awfully similar. He looks to be a young, veteran officer that saw some heavy fighting. I like the blades with portepees as well as his wristwatch that must have been the time piece that launched his section of offensive fronts.

The reverse of each has been inscribed with his very nice penmanship. One has 1918 written in pencil at the bottom. The other has the date 16 April 1922 although the body references 1916 and it looks like it might mention his regiment. This one also leaves a surname that is Hausemann. Although I don’t have the world account on Ancestry, I came across maybe 10 men with this name with WW1 records one could’ve been him, but that I couldn’t access so it’s hard to say. I haven’t been able to translate much of either, it’s a little different than reading a Wehrpass for me. Leave your thoughts and comments.

Thanks, Ben

?

nose & ears seem to be spot on.