Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown German tin things

Article about: Hi guys got a load of these in a lot I purchased have no idea what they are or could be any info greatly appreciated took a pic of 5 of them Thanks Brian

?

Default Unknown German tin things

Hi guys got a load of these in a lot I purchased have no idea what they are or could be any info greatly appreciated took a pic of 5 of them they are hollow backed no pins or anything
    Thanks Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German tin things  

They look like tourist pieces to me that would be tacked on to a walking stick as a souvenir. When they date from I don't know.

Quote by BRIOLF View Post
    Hi guys got a load of these in a lot I purchased have no idea what they are or could be any info greatly appreciated took a pic of 5 of them they are hollow backed no pins or anything
    Thanks Brian
    They are souvenirs found all over Germany. You would nail them onto a walking stick.

?

Thanks guys that did cross my mind about walking sticks but wasn't sure they where purchased with a group of ww1 imperial medals

Thanks Brian
    That's and easy one mate!

These are tourist souvenir items for attaching to walking sticks. The German word is "Stocknageln"
    or literally "Stick nails" for a Wanderstock or Wandering stick.

They are sold all over Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc in tourist oulets mostly but you even find the same thing in UK in places like The Lakes etc.You have four German; Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden and Munich and one from Austria; Salzburg. The holes at the edges are for the tiny nails that are supplied at the point of sale.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-04-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks mark anyway of dating these?

I don't really think so as the manufacture hasn't changed in decades unless there is a date on them or a representation of some building etc that can be dated. I first picked up these in Germany in the '70s and the new ones then looked the same as the ones I saw on really old sticks. Some of the coloured ones are clearly of modern origin but these plain metal ones are still in the shops today. By the time I left Germany in the '90s the more expensive ones were around DM 3 - 5 so I would expect them to be not much more than 1 - 2 Euro now.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-04-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Offer to buy them dinner, or go dancing. Take it slowly, be polite, and you may get lucky.

?

lol that is quite funny