Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal

Article about: Hi Everyone, Bought this medal last week, I was wondering if members had come across this particular P.O.W. medal 2,6 cm x 4 cm) before, the small folded ribbon has Bavarian army colours, re

?

Default Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal

Hi Everyone,
    Bought this medal last week, I was wondering if members had come across this particular P.O.W. medal 2,6 cm x 4 cm) before, the small folded ribbon has Bavarian army colours, reading the citation he was a POW in the years 1917 -19. Does any member have additional information i.e.which organization struck it ? perhaps a veteran's organization or maybe a Freikorp based in Bavaria, I've googled through the net and looked through various collectors period books without turning up another one, any further information or its possible value appreciated.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal   Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal  

Default Re: Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal

AlecH, what a nice medal, the rendition of the soldier is very emotive, I have never seen one before.....lets hope someone can illuminate us on its origin, probably as you say, veteran organisation supplied. Thanks for showing.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hi Steve,
    I also started this thread on a German forum, and got some feed back. Apparently its a remembrance medal given to former P.O.W.'s by local councils & veterans associations. I thought, if this is the case the medal must be fairly common, having said, I've never seen another. I did have a trawl through google & various military sites on the internet and came up with only one other, on offer at 125 euro in Weitze's military site, I can only conclude it must indeed be much rarer than I thought.
    Best Wishes

Alec, thanks for letting us know about the medals origins, nice gesture by the organisations, I have been collecting for over 40 years and never seen such an award, let alone know anything about it !, it just goes to show we are still learning !....thanks again for showing, I must keep my eyes open for one.
    Prost ! Steve.

Alec..heres one I found last week on E-Bay, lost out on it, never mind one will come again !...is yours buttonhole type fastner ?...to be worn on civilian jacket.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown - WW1 P.O.W. Medal 

I've never seen these before either. Great looking medal or medallion........
    Regards,

Steve.

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I've never seen these before either. Great looking medal or medallion........
    Can you remember (about) what it sold for? Which ebay? Germany? USA? This site must be over-worked. I quoted oradour, not walkwolf

ww2fotos, it was on E-Bay Germany, it sold for just a little over £40....I was a tight wad as I had bid £40 ! better luck next time !
    prost ! Steve.

?

Hello Steve,
    Yes, my medal has the same buttonhole hanging arrangement. I think, the only variation of the medals was the difference in the colour pattern of the small ribbon placed in the ring at the medal top. Mine - blue & white are Bavarian colours, others have green & white Saxon, black & yellow Wüttemberg and so on. It is, I imagine quite hard to find medals with ribbons from the smaller states like Nassau.
    Regards

Thanks for that Alec, the one I show looks to be Prussian, black & white ribbon....I shall continue the quest !
    prost ! Steve.