Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual skull

Article about: Hello everybody this is my first post here, I have a unique skull I found while searching online and I would like to get some opinions on what it possibly can be. I'm a fan of these types of

Default Unusual skull

Hello everybody this is my first post here, I have a unique skull I found while searching online and I would like to get some opinions on what it possibly can be. I'm a fan of these types of insignias especially the odd ugly or obscure ones and I think its better I post here since the fellas on the WAF Weimar section would shoot it down without a chance. I did think it could have been a old crucifix skull but the measurements are a tad bit to big and it has slightly more detail then most tiny skulls on the bottoms of antique crosses. All opinions are welcomed and much appreciated as always! I plan on buying this piece today. Its listed as a Brunswick collar device.

Unusual skull

Unusual skull
    Last edited by JackField897; 03-05-2023 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Tried to fix the images messing up+ grammatical issues

IMO, not a collar device, (still related to death, as in crosses), but for another purpose.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the reply rbminis I guess this skull is nothing German related then I’ll pass it up for now until more give their opinions.

Quote by JackField897 View Post
    Thanks for the reply rbminis I guess this skull is nothing German related then I’ll pass it up for now until more give their opinions.
    It may be German related but, IMO, the skulls with this hole in the middle instead of prongs, are not collar insignia.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

It is an interesting little skull but hard to say if it's German or just a Masonic piece from a dagger or sword. The hole in the middle points to something being affixed to an object not a uniform.

There is a long history of skull insignia on uniforms that are not related to German. Here are some examples for Russian and Chetnik troops. Unfortunately I've never actually come across any of these artifacts only photo's and illustrations.

Unusual skullUnusual skull

Unusual skull

Unusual skull

I also have this little oddball skull that I believe is cypher from a German shoulder board of some type , Imperial or later. I actually came across another set which i lament i did not buy. I forgot now how it was listed.

Unusual skull
    Unusual skull
    Regards, Al

CBH
    ?

Many German Crucifixes carried a small skull on the bottom below Christ’s feet.
    That’s what this looks like to me.

Thanks for the replies everyone this indeed is a interesting topic, should I pass on buying it?

--- should I pass on buying it?
    IMO, if you like it and you can afford, buy it.
    I have lots of items in my collection that don't fit into any specific slot. They just
    make me happy.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks for the replies everyone this indeed is a interesting topic, should I pass on buying it?
    That depends on what your collecting interests are, and if this is something you desire.
    If you are just looking to acquire skulls, maybe. If you are after skulls with a certain history, maybe not.
    Ralph.

?

In my opinion if you like it and fits your collection, why not. As long as you're ok with not really knowing what it is. I have often bought skull related items I cannot identify with the hope that down the road I may find out. It comes down to affordability and what you like. Just my opinion.

Wow so funny. everybody beat me to the punch with the same sentiment
    Regards, Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast