Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted Photos of wwi german pow camps

Article about: I am searching for any period photos of the POW camps at; Rastatt, Landshutt, Karlsruhe, Ingolstadt , Fort Ten (X) a camp in Inglostadt, and Camstigall-bie-Pillau in East Prussia.

Default Wanted Photos of wwi german pow camps

I am searching for any period photos of the POW camps at; Rastatt, Landshutt, Karlsruhe, Ingolstadt , Fort Ten (X) a camp in Inglostadt, and Camstigall-bie-Pillau in East Prussia.

Default Re: Wanted Photos of wwi german pow camps

Croix de Guerre: I have some of the photos you want but I am having a problem getting them to post. So I'll try again. These photos are illustrations from my books, Escape, Naval Institute Press, 1994 and Escape from Villingen, 1918, Texas A&M University Press, 2000. I no longer have the orignals, so I scanned these from the books. They are presented in the order that officer POWs generally passed through them.
    Wanted  Photos of wwi german pow camps
    This is the Fortress prison at Rastatt. It was a transit camp for newly captured American, British, and French officers. From here they were sent to other camps.
    Upon arrival in Karlsruhe, officer POW spent two days to a week in this hotel, called "The Listening Hotel" becuase every room was bugged and the listening station was in the basement. The hotel exists today and is at Ettlingerstrasse 39. I took this picture in 1994.
    This is the main camp layout. The camp was built on the site of the City Botanical Gardens and is today a city park.

This is Trausnitz Castle overlooking Landshut. The POWs were held in the large building at the upper right corner of the castle. There is an X on the roof.

This is a view of the stables where the POWs were kept on the 2nd floor. This photo was taken in 1994.

I have some other photos that you might want, mostly of the officers camp at Villingen,which was the scene of the only mass escape made by American prisoners in WWI. Dwight

Dwight, I am flabbergasted! I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that you took the time to reply and put these photos up on the forum. The past few days have been just amazing with some of the contacts and replys I have been getting. Thank you so very much!
    Tom

Tom: No problem. I have more photos, which I will be happy to post and you're free to use them as you like. Based on the camps you are interested in, I guess that you are tracking either a British or French officer. Is that right? You might want to contact the Bibliotek für Zeitgeschichte in Stuttgart for additional photos of the camps. They are a good source. Dwight

?

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    I am searching for any period photos of the POW camps at; Rastatt, Landshutt, Karlsruhe, Ingolstadt , Fort Ten (X) a camp in Inglostadt, and Camstigall-bie-Pillau in East Prussia.
    Just looking at my bookshelf I would recommend these two books :

POW's and the Great war : captivity on the eastern front. By Alon Rachamimov

Prisoners of the Kaiser , By Richard Van Emden

Quote by gew98 View Post
    Just looking at my bookshelf I would recommend these two books :

POW's and the Great war : captivity on the eastern front. By Alon Rachamimov

Prisoners of the Kaiser , By Richard Van Emden
    Thanks for the advice on the books! Found both and they are on the way!

Croix de Guerre: This link will take you to a site that gives complete descriptions and views of the ten forts that are collectively called, Werke des Fortgürtels. They are ten identical forts that were built in Germany from 1877 to 1888. Among them is Fort X, Ingoldstadt.

Werke des Fortgürtels

I'm not sure which one this is, but they all look alike. Dwight

Looks like the link didn't take. Go into Google and search for, FortX, Ingoldstadt. That should take you right to the site. Dwight

Hi

I am in the process of getting hold of a copy of the diary written by a british POW who I believe was in a camp in Poland.

He was the granfather of a family friend and I have been informed it may have sketches in as well. I shall let you know once it turns up and I am quite happy to post you a copy.

cheers

tony

I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you that responded to my request.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast