Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Weapons of Polish Soldiers during WW1

Article about: Hello, My grandfather was Polish and fought in WW1, I am investigating where was he located, where did he fought, etc. As part of my search I would like to know which were the sidearms and r

Default Weapons of Polish Soldiers during WW1

Hello,
    My grandfather was Polish and fought in WW1, I am investigating where was he located, where did he fought, etc.
    As part of my search I would like to know which were the sidearms and rifles of the Polish Soldiers during WW1. Any lists / links to review all will be appreciated
    Many thanks for your help,

MAP
    ?

Not an area I can really help with but I do have a clarifying question. What little I know of, the Poles fought with all sides (France, Russia and Germany/Austria). For which group did he fight for.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi MAP,
    If I am not mistaken he fought under the Austro-Hungarian side; this is something I am researching to confirm.
    Thank you

MAP
    ?

If they were incorporated into regular units I would assume they would have used the same weapons but that is just a guess. Best to wait for others. A bit of a niche question however. Hopefully someone knows
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you MAP,
    I will wait, I also hope someone knows.
    Best,

Perhaps posting this in the Polish forum might bring more replies.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Not an expert in this area but if he was in the regular infantry then he probably used a Mannlicher m95 or a modified Mannlicher m1886.

Here's a good video of all the common rifles the Austro-Hungarians used: YouTube

I will thank you.

- - ------- - -

Thank you for the video link!