Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

Article about: I have purchased this lovely small TK that was offered as a "Panzer Collar Tab Pin, 2.2 by 1.7 cm" It was not listed as a Totenkopf or Skull.. A bit of a hidden gem if you ask me!

Dos
    ?

Default Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

I have purchased this lovely small TK that was offered as a "Panzer Collar Tab Pin" It was not listed as a Totenkopf or Skull.. A bit of a hidden gem if you ask me!

It is as small as a WWII german panzer TK. Due to the measurements ( 2.2 by 1.7 cm) I think it would have been worn on the collar of an uniform. It is die stamped and had a Silver/Gold finish applied to it when it was new. There are still some traces of this finish visible, but it has seen better days. The back side reveals an attachment that i have never seen before.. Maybe someone can shed some light on this? It does not look like a broken safety pin, but there is also no sharp edge to poke it thru a fabric with.

Now my main question: What is the origin of this TK ? If you look at the construction i would say it belongs somewhere in the time frame 1900-1930.

Aldo mentioned it might me a Wehrwolf Bund TK. In my archive of photographs from the Wehrwolf, Freikorps & Stahlhelm Bund i could not find a match with any of them. The pictures from the collection of Robin Lumsden show some skulls that come close, But none of them are an exact match to this one. Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated! Thank you.

-Dos

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

?

This is what it resembles but not quite the same.

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

My werewolf totenkopf for comparison.
    Ralph.

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Dos
    ?

Yes it looks a lot like the Assmann TK we have in our collections that is seen on Wehrwolf members. The difference lies within a few small things. One row of teeth, wider crossbones and no sutures as far as i can see. It is slightly pitted..

I will check tommorow if it is magnetic. Thank you gentleman

Dos
    ?

I have identified the totenkopf by browsing the internet and funny enough coming back to our own forum thanks to Stonemint!

It is not magnetic and i think it is made from some tombac kind of material like the one below.

Here are some images with credits to Stonemint & Sarge 08 for sharing these with us.

Freikorps & Paramilitary Weimar Headgear in Period Photographs

The Freikorps Wehrwolf (January 11, 1923 till the summer of 1933) insignia is seen here on these photos:

-Dos

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

Credits to Stonemint & Sarge 08

Dos
    ?

And here in comparison to my Assmann Wehrwolf TK. I wonder who the maker of the other one is?

Also shown below is with credits to Robin Lumsden, A photo of a specimen with a Eiserne Kreuz attached to it:

-Dos

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?
    Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

Wehrwolf Totenkopf?

Credits to Robin Lumsden

CBH
    ?

Maybe a unit commemorative that would have had a ribbon tied in a bow behind the TK with EK hanging below like Robin Lumsdens example. That would explain the strange hooked pin on the OP example.

Dos
    ?

Good point CBH, I think something like that will be the case. There are no traces visible of any normal prong configuration on my example. Also if you look really closely there is even a chance it is not from the same die stamp in comparison to the other examples i posted above since there are a few tiny differences. This would only back the idea of a unit commemorative up being it was made for a different purpose. Then again this can also be by use of different material or a worn die stamp. Thanks CBH