Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this?

Article about: Zur erinnerung seiner lieben mutter 1914/15 ....???

Default What is this?

Zur erinnerung seiner lieben mutter 1914/15 ....???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this?   What is this?  

What is this?   What is this?  

What is this?  

MAP
    ?

Zur erinnerung seiner lieben mutter = For remembrance of his loving mother (or something close to that).

It appears to be a letter opener of some sort.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Zur erinnerung seiner lieben mutter = For remembrance of his loving mother (or something close to that).

It appears to be a letter opener of some sort.
    It has a W at center.
    WW1 or WW2? It was fathers friend ... He was a soldier ww2 german
    Yes i think is letter opener .
    Do you think is for soldier? Or just ornamental thing home?
    Sorry my bad english.
    Cheers from Lima Peru

MAP
    ?

The W stands for Kaiser Wilhelm. I may be slightly off in my translation as I don't speak German. I just know a little bit. It may read "In remembrance from his loving mother". Hopefully someone who is fluent in German will be around

In my opinion it is from WW1 or the period after in remembrance of a soldiers service. But just my guess.

And your English is fine

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Defnitely WW1 in style and the grooves on the 'handle' indicate that it has been probably been beaten into shape from the copper driving band of a shell.......

It is simply trench art from WWI-as said, a copper band from a shell that has been shaped into a letter opener. It was made by a German or Austrian soldier in honor of his beloved mother. No doubt sent home from the field.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello
    WW1 german trench art
    De l'horreur à l'art/14-18

cordially
    Didier

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It is simply trench art from WWI-as said, a copper band from a shell that has been shaped into a letter opener. It was made by a German or Austrian soldier in honor of his beloved mother. No doubt sent home from the field.
    100% right. Cant see how i missed something so simple. I blame the tough week, late hour and two tumblers....

I dont think its a letter opener. I think its a present from a German soldier to his mother, guess its a hairpin. Agree WWI era.

What is this?

The grip would stick out way too far to be a hair ornament. The men in the trenches from all the different nations made thousands of such trench art letter opener pieces.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast