Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Bavarian flag. Is it real?

Article about: Hello Gent's, This flag is at an auction I will be attending tomorrow. Do you think I should add it to my WW1 German collection? It looks to be in very good condition so I have my doubts abo

?

Default WW1 Bavarian flag. Is it real?

Hello Gent's,
    This flag is at an auction I will be attending tomorrow. Do you think I should add it to my WW1 German collection? It looks to be in very good condition so I have my doubts about it and I'm not even sure if they made this type.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    WW1 Bavarian flag. Is it real?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil: I'm certainly no authority on these Imperial flags but I agree with you having doubts about it. It does really look new and I believe the eagle looks a bit off. It's hard to tell from the picture but I would say the construction doesn't look right either. I hope some of the experts chime in.

Luke

I'm guessing it's a repro type from the 70's. If you can go
    see it in person, look for a 60X90 marking.

These are quite well made, and I'd go for it - if it were
    not too expensive ( $30-$50 ).........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I will get to look at it in person tomorrow and will be able to handle it. I will look for any markings I can find.
    Thank you Very Much guy's!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Definitely Not a 100 year old period flag....use your own discretion accordingly....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Phil, it is not Bavarian ! it is a "Reichskriegsflagge" (Empire War Flag) this was the official name of the war flag used by the German armed forces from 1867 to 1945. A total of seven different designs were used during this period...this is one used between 1903 and 1918. I doubt by its condition it is real, however look for markings along the roped edge, you never know ! However if cheap they make a great back drop to any WW1 collection !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thank You ALL for your comments. I will be attending this auction in a couple of hours. I'ill check it for marking. I also think If I can get it cheap It would make a great back drop for my Baden landwher Haube and 1918 Stahlhelm until I can find a real one.
    I would also like to thatnk you Steve for the correct ID of this Flag. The info is greatly appreciated
    Thanks Again
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

OK. I won the auction for it and paid $30.
    Its not white like the picture shows. It does have some age to it. But these are the markings that are on it. Along where the rope runs through it,is marked with 60x90 then in the middle it has U29 then at the other end it looks like FLAGGL. So real or not It will make for a nice display.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil, the 60x90 marking confirms it is an old copy as Steve suggested. But at $30 you cannot grumble.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    But at $30 you cannot grumble. Cheers, Ade.
    Absolutely ! a good buy............
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast