Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1? German Ammo box.

Article about: Can anyone give their opinion on this ammo box - I usually stick to French WW1 equipment as it is my real area of interest and I am familiar with it, so don't get ripped off (well not often!

?

Default WW1? German Ammo box.

Can anyone give their opinion on this ammo box - I usually stick to French WW1 equipment as it is my real area of interest and I am familiar with it, so don't get ripped off (well not often!). I spotted this in a Brocante near Limoges last summer and as I recently found a relic one on the Chemin des Dames, I thought it would be nice to have one with the bottom still in it! I think it is WW1? There are no markings at all that I can find and it seems heavier than WW2 ones I have seen. The metal is in good condition, though their is little of the painted finish left - i would appreciate some idea of value as I fear I paid too much and am thinking of parting with it as it doesnt really add much to my WW1 collection IMO.

WW1? German Ammo box.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1? German Ammo box.
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1? German Ammo box.

In WW1 the Germans produced several kinds of box for machinegun ammo. This is a Patronenkast 15 with a nominal 250-round capacity. It should measure 367 x 177 x 85 mm.

Built for 7.92 x 57 mm Mauser, or could carry two 1.25 liter cans of oil or cleaning fluid.

Offset handle so that a man could carry two boxes in each hand.

Originally used with MG08 but later with MG34 and MG42.

Hope this helps.

Value....I'll leave that to the experts.

P.

?

Default Re: WW1? German Ammo box.

Thanks P. for the information - So it could be WW1 - but is there any definite way of telling? I have looked closely for markings, but cannot see any - are they usually stamped in a specific place? I assume from the lack of replies that these are not especially sought after? I will photograph some of my other brocante finds soon - As I said I collect WW1 French equipment, but some of the brocantes are huge and sometime when I don't find anything for my collection, I feel cheated unless I leave with something! ;-)

Default Hi, I have German piece with year and Quality stamp...

Quote by NickW View Post
    Thanks P. for the information - So it could be WW1 - but is there any definite way of telling? I have looked closely for markings, but cannot see any - are they usually stamped in a specific place? I assume from the lack of replies that these are not especially sought after? I will photograph some of my other brocante finds soon - As I said I collect WW1 French equipment, but some of the brocantes are huge and sometime when I don't find anything for my collection, I feel cheated unless I leave with something! ;-)
    WW1? German Ammo box.WW1? German Ammo box.WW1? German Ammo box.