Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Calvary sword?

Article about: Hello all... As like many, I look at a lot of different auctions throughout the week and place bids on things that I like. 95% of the time I get out bid... however, yesterday I actually won

Default WW1 German Calvary sword?

Hello all...

As like many, I look at a lot of different auctions throughout the week and place bids on things that I like. 95% of the time I get out bid... however, yesterday I actually won this WW1 German sword.

The sword looks to be in pretty good condition for its age. It appears that somebody may’ve got a little drastic with the cleaning... but... not the end of the world for $200.00. The grips and wire wrapping are intact and the blade/ scabbard look to be in good condition.

The sword maker is “WKC”, which is stamped on one side of the ricasso and “Deutscher Offizier Verein Berlin” on the other side (German Officer association?). Measures a total of 39.5”.

Am I correct to assume that this is a German Infantry sword? And the double suspension rings on the scabbard appear correct? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Calvary sword?   WW1 German Calvary sword?  

WW1 German Calvary sword?   WW1 German Calvary sword?  

WW1 German Calvary sword?  
    Last edited by 26Intrepid; 11-09-2020 at 07:20 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Calvary sword?
    P
    Many

It is a Prussian Model 1889 infantry officer's sword. It most likely dates to early 1900's as in 1906 the scabbard changed to a single ring. The nickle plating was replaced with black paint from 1910. As you say, seems to be a bit over cleaned but a tidy one and the price was good.

Thanks Mr. Anderson!

?

Yes, indeed, a nice Prussian infantry officer's aword at a good price. Congratulations.

BobS

?

A very nice looking sword.
    Congrat's on that $200 deal!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil