Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German dog tag

Article about: Hello everyone, what do you think, worth collecting? What websites I should visit to look for more information of the soldier? Thank you in advance.

Default WW1 German dog tag

Hello everyone, what do you think, worth collecting? What websites I should visit to look for more information of the soldier? Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German dog tag   WW1 German dog tag  

WW1 German dog tag   WW1 German dog tag  

Hi Sillu,

I’m not an expert on these but it looks like an original 1915/16 dog tag (Erkennungsmarken). I say 15/16 as this one is oval but without any split line or scoring to enable the easier snapping in two of the tag. These started to appear in late 1916. I thinks it’s a good example as the chord looks nice and original (not sure if it’s original to the tag) and the tag has some potential for research.

The following article which you should be able to find online will offer some information - “ Identity discs: The recovery and identification of First World War soldiers located during archaeological works on the former Western front”.

I’m sure that someone should be a long shortly you might be able to decipher the stampings.

Andy

Thank you Andy, it would be a good adquisition to my collection for 90€?

Quote by SilluAgain View Post
    We don’t provide valuations on the forum and I think the more important question is whether it would be a good addition to your collection. To gain an idea of what a reasonable price is, I would suggest having a look at a variety of dealer sites to get an idea of the prices being asked for the various types. For example, one with an original chord etc would generally go for more as the chords are often missing. You could try starting with a site like The Collectors Guild and go from there.

This looks like a nice original, with the chord denoting the unit being from Prussia. A search of the VDK brought no results although one Georg Flösser was listed as missing in September 1914, there is not enough data to say whether this is the same person. The fact everything is intact lends me to suggest he survived the war. Nice item, original cord worth owning if you ever wanted an example complete.

Quote by SilluAgain View Post
    That is quite expensive, but if you only owned one then might be worth a go, but always ask for very best price

Thank you for searching more information about the soldier, I appreciate it. I don't have any german dog tag, and I never seen a WW1 german dog tag with the chord for sale in my country

I already have it at home, I have cleaned it a bit. The soldier's name is Georg Flösser Buchklingen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German dog tag  

Buchklingen is his home town, a village near Heidelberg. The other details are the initial Ersatz unit he was inducted into and below that the unit and 4th Kompanie of the unit he was in when in the front line. A nice WW1 erkennungsmarke with cord.