Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp

Article about: Question for you Imperial German medal guys out there. I recently picked up a WW1 US Army medal group and this German medal was part of it. Black silk ribbon with silver [or silver plated] m

Default WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp

Question for you Imperial German medal guys out there.

I recently picked up a WW1 US Army medal group and this German medal was part of it. Black silk ribbon with silver [or silver plated] metal and enamel DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES clasp, silver pendant featuring bust of Kaiser Wilhelm II on obverse with motto WILHELM II DEUTSCHER KAISER and maker mark M&W S under bust. Reverse features charging German soldiers wearing Pickelhauben, with date 1914 at upper right, and motto FELDZUG GEGEN/FRANKREICH, RUSSLAND/ENGLAND U.S.W. at bottom.

None of the medal references I have or have access to show or mention this exact medal. Several references have the pendant by itself, but no ribbon or clasp, and one mentioned that it may have been a "war effort" medal presented to civilians working in war industries or similar home front activities. The original owner saw combat in France with the AEF and then served in the Army of Occupation in the Rheinland, which is probably where the medal was picked up.

Hoping someone can help out and thanks in advance.

Alan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp   WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp  

WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp   WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp  

WW1 German "War Effort" Medal [?] w/DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES Clasp  

MAP
    ?

I think these were Patriotic medals. Not sure but I think they were sold to raise money but happy to be corrected. You can find these with different years as well as different portraits on both the obverse and reverse.

BTW....U.S.W has nothing to do with the US. It stands for "Und so Weiter". I think a rough translation is "and so on" or other countries against the fatherland

WWI Medal Feldzug Gegen Frankreich Russland England USW 1914 | eBay
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am not familiar with these medals at all.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 07-27-2022 at 01:22 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Chopperman,

Yes, I've seen several that had different dates on the back of the pendant (1914-1915, etc.) as well. Like you, I believe it was more of a home front/patriotic type medal, rather than any military award. I appreciate the information!

Thanks Alan