Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Wehrpaß

Article about: Hello everyone, I have had this book for a while and tried to translate it but have a difficult time understanding both the printed font and the handwriting. He was born 4 April 1891 and was

?

Default WW1 Wehrpaß

Hello everyone,
    I have had this book for a while and tried to translate it but have a difficult time understanding both the printed font and the handwriting. He was born 4 April 1891 and was issued this book in 1911 and was used through some point In 1916. Unfortunately that's about all I could make out with any certainty.
    Please correct me on anything. Any translation help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 WehrpaßWW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß
    WW1 Wehrpaß

?

The Wehrpaß was opened on 11 October 1911 at an ersatz rekruten depot for Ernst Immenroth. Ernst August Friedrich Immenroth was born 4 April 1891 in Langelsheim, Gandersheim. He was not married and had no children. Not sure about his religion but I surmise it reads evangelisch. There is a later entry that shows his street address for Langelsheim at Bismarckstraße 309.

His original unit was 10 Kompagnie der 3. Ober-Elsässiches Infanterie Regiment Nr.172; the regiment was under command of Oberst Friedrich von Dungern when Immenroth joined. The dates for his service with the regiment was until 8 October 1913.

There is an entry dated 30 September 1916 in Langelsheim when he was with the II. Ersatz Bataillon der Braunschweigisches-Infanterie-Regiment Nr.92; the regiment under command of Oberstleutnant Hans von Heynitz at the time. On another page there is a stamp for him being in the 8. Kompagnie. The regiment was fighting on the Eastern Front in late 1916 in Poland. Mid-May to mid-November in locations around Wolhynien, Zapust, Żurawice, and Cholopice. They continued fighting in Poland- Zapurece, Lipinow, Kowel and Kisielin before an early year switch back to France around Aisne-Champagne and Ripont. Then back to the east in Landestreu, Nowica, and Riga maybe late summer or early fall. In October 1917, they was back in France fighting at Flanders and Artois. Heavy casualties were later sustained near Passendale, Zonnebeeke, and Poelcapelle. The survivors numbered two kompagnien and once manpower was replenished, were sent to Cambrai. The Frühjahrsoffensive was launched in 1918. This was followed up by many defensive battles until the unit was destroyed at Havrincourt.

There is some meat in the two entries from der Braunschweigisches-Infanterie-Regiment Nr.92 although it is harder to read.

Regards, Ben
    Last edited by Witt; 06-07-2023 at 10:48 PM.

?

Thank you so much Ben for the help! I really appreciate it!

Regards,
    Daniel

He was listed as being severely wounded on 28 November 1914 whilst in Infanterie Regiment 92. I'm not able to read it easily but wonder if he was able to continue any frontline service after such wounds - unless he was able to fully recover.

?

@ BlackCat1982. Thanks for taking the time to do this! I don't think I would have figured this out on my own. It really helps to put together the story behind this book.

Regards,
    Daniel

Hi Daniel.

BlackCat is right, he was heavily wounded in 1914 while with 8./Kompanie Infanterie Regiment Nr 92, Brunnschweig (Verlust-Liste Nr 0231 - 28 Nov 1914 from Ancestry). This matches the entry on pages 6 and 7 which I think says severely wounded left arm, then the initials could stand for back and head.

Also from Ancestry the Verlust-Liste Nr 2077 - 30 Aug 1918 lists an Ernst Immenroth from Wolfshagen, Gandersheim as being killed in action in 1918.

WW1 Wehrpaß

There is an entry on the Volksbund, but frustratingly no place of birth is listed, so I can't say this is the same man. But this would fit in with the information Ben provided, eg he was fighting in France at that time.

Ernst Immenroth is buried in the military cemetery in Soupir, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 532

Ernst Immenroth | Grabersuche-Online

Kind regards,

Will.

?

It is extremely likely that he was wounded at a place called Condé where a considerable amount fell between 14 October 1914 and mid-January 1915. I am pretty certain this is referring to Condé-sur-Suippe. This is directly across the Aisne from Guignicourt, now merged into Villeneuve-sur-Aisne, which is another town that a handful of Braunschweiger casualties occurred. This is a little north of Reims and Bétheny, the second is another location they were briefly dug-in at.

I will note a handful of men died at various lazarette and other locations, but at least 90% of the regiment casualties late 1914 are noted at Condé. They had been fighting at places like Roselies, Beine, St. Prix, Audigny, Devant le Bois, and Courcy in August and September.

WW1 Wehrpaß

Early war kit with the covered pickelhaube.

WW1 Wehrpaß

A 1916 photo in France. They wear Krätzchen with a totenkopf pinned between the cockaden.
    Last edited by Witt; 06-09-2023 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Correction

?

Thank you Will & Ben for and all of your help in identifying and finding all this information! I find all of this very interesting, as each one of these books opens up an individual story (wich is why I collect these).
    Sad to see he serves through almost the entire war on both fronts only to be killed about two months before the war ends.
    Now I will keep a copy of all this information with the wehrpaß to complete the story.
    Thanks for the photos too! Always enjoy seeing photos of the uniforms/kit.

Regards,
    Daniel