Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Camo Helmet

Article about: Hi, I stumbled across this thread last night when I was looking for a website that might tell me what this helmet is worth. I have had this helmet for over 30yrs now. I was given to me by an

Default WWI Camo Helmet

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread last night when I was looking for a website that might tell me what this helmet is worth. I have had this helmet for over 30yrs now. I was given to me by an old manager who lived on a farm house in Ladd Illinois and found it in the garage in a box. I pretty much knew what it was and have taken care of it and occasionally displayed it. I now think I want to part with it as I think it would be more appreciated by collectors such as yourselves than me. Would like some honest feedback on the uniqueness of the hand painted sheild and letter "L" on the back. I saw another helmet on here with the same sheild. There is a number "238" stamped in the inside of the helmet near the very top. That is all I see on it.

Back in the late 1980's it to a collector in Normal Illinois where I was going to college, I think he had actually written a book on German Helmets and he told me it was a nice piece. Any input would be welcome and if someone is interested please send me a private email. Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Camo Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWI Camo Helmet

Beautiful helmet! I love these WW1 camos. I like the paint on this M17 but I'm hoping the experts will comment on the insignia and liner very soon. I'd love to be able to display this one. If this is all original you have a great one here. I wish I could help out more. I'm still learning with these. Good luck.

Luke

Honenzollern shield. Garde- Infanterie- Division? Leibkompanie 1st foot guards regiment?

Luke
    Last edited by rogge16; 01-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Luke,

I found this web site last might myself:

Model 1916 steel helmet retaining ca 80% green, brown and tan camouflaged painted finish with colors separated by thick black lines. Left side displays a black and white Hohenzollern shield insignia of the Guards Division. Under the camouflaged finish is the ghost of an earlier shield. Rear has an off-white script L indicating issue to the instruction company. Interior complete with a three pad white leather liner with cushions on a metal band. Maker and size marked E.T. 64. Rear skirt interior with hand-painted soldier's name Henke. Helmet sold for $1,610.00 back in 2009!

Wow! That's a nice one too. I hope someone will shed some light on your helmet here soon. I'm interested in what the experts have to say.
    Good luck!

Luke

Anyone?

Luke

I am by no means an expert, but I think the "L" and shield are guard insignias, helmets with this insignia were worn by members of the Kaiser's personal guards. The shield and "L" look a bit too bright for me to be completely comfortable...

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I am by no means an expert, but I think the "L" and shield are guard insignias, helmets with this insignia were worn by members of the Kaiser's personal guards. The shield and "L" look a bit too bright for me to be completely comfortable...
    Yes. I thought they looked bright too but I wasn't sure.

Luke

I've saw other helmets at the collector in Bloomington IL with the shield and L the same color as well as the rest of helmet. In fact we both were suprised as we think we had helmets painted by the same person as the patterns were very similar and the colors of paint and markins nearly identical. Only difference was his helmet had a large shrapnel hole in the back, not a good day for that soilder I bet.

The helmet does have a coat of wax on it to bring out the colors more, probably not the best thing to do but again Im no collector so...

I did some research and found another helmet with same sheild patter and color intensity. Seems these sheilds have different painting outlines.

What would be a good way to take the wax off without hurting the paint below?

?

Mr Audiophile,
    in my humble opinion, the first helmet you showed is painted post war. The colours and the insignia look very new is the least I can say. These helmets are very much desired and are faked a lot by crooks, just because they can cash more money for the helmets.
    The second helmet and the left insignia in your last post seem to be the real deal, but still larger pics would be needed to be certain 100%...
    Even very advanced collectors can not always see it when it's a good one...

Adler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast