Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?

Article about: Hi, I've got my hands on this WWI Death Certificate. The piece of paper measures 17 x 13 cm when folded. My first question is if it real or fake? Is there a way to tell? Do the Iron Cross at

Question WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?

Hi,

I've got my hands on this WWI Death Certificate.

WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?

The piece of paper measures 17 x 13 cm when folded.

My first question is if it real or fake? Is there a way to tell?

Do the Iron Cross at the top mean that the person mentioned in the Death Certificate was an Iron Cross holder?

If it is real – does it have any value at all?

Thank you very much for your assistance

Looks original to me

Nothing wrong with it, there are millions of these so there is no point to fake common soldier death cards, if he had one the pour le merite then more caution would need to be taken with authentication...The Iron cross i believe was just a common feature on every card, however it is possible that he may have been awarded it.
    Value is whatever people wish to pay for it, a google or even an ebay search of death cards will give you an understanding of pricing.
    Morris

Thank you very much for the very fast reply!

As far as I can see the value is not more than the space it takes to store it :P

Here is his entry in the Volksbund along with his burial details.

WWI Death Certificate - Real or fake?

value is not everything in this Hobby, if you think of it like that you are missing some of the most important elements. For example who apart from you at this time now will remember the sacrifice of Wilhelm Nehls. They are some of the more Valuable elements of this hobby.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Here is his entry in the Volksbund along with his burial details.
    Thank you very much for your information hucks! Where did you find it? I have tried to search for this information myself without finding it...

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    value is not everything in this Hobby, if you think of it like that you are missing some of the most important elements. For example who apart from you at this time now will remember the sacrifice of Wilhelm Nehls. They are some of the more Valuable elements of this hobby.
    You are absolutely correct, and it was never in my intention to sell it. It is just interesting to know what value I have in my collection. Nevertheless, it is good to get a heads up on the reality as you so elegantly put it: who will remember the sacrifice of Wilhelm Nehls apart from me... Thank you for that.

Quote by Hoggorm View Post
    Thank you very much for your information hucks! Where did you find it? I have tried to search for this information myself without finding it...
    Gräbersuche-Online

Thank you very much!

?

In fact, these are quite easy to fake. By that I mean to copy an original and then sell the copy as an original. As mentioned, the likelihood of that happening for a common soldier's card is little to none. Collecting Sterbebilder used to be a fun, cheap part of the hobby, but prices have risen sharply in the last five years or so, especially for ones mentioning elite units, individual awards, famous battles, etc.

Bavarian examples tend to have photos of the deceased soldier, whereas, northern German traditionally are more plain looking and without a photo.

Regards,
    CCMJR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast