Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWI German - Three Aces and a Cigarette Trench Art?

Article about: Seeking help to identify the meaning of the images painted on what I assume to be a Trench Art candle holder? Measures 5.25" diameter at the round base, 5.25" in height. Old crazed

Default WWI German - Three Aces and a Cigarette Trench Art?

Seeking help to identify the meaning of the images painted on what I assume to be a Trench Art candle holder? Measures 5.25" diameter at the round base, 5.25" in height. Old crazed paint with three playing cards (Aces), a lit cigarette, an Imperial German Cavalry insignia and a Coat of Arms. Can anyone shed any light on what this is and the possible meaning of the design elements? Thank you in advance.
    Dave Pass
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?   WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?  

WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?   WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?  

WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?   WWI German - Three Aces  and a Cigarette Trench Art?  

MAP
    ?

No idea, but it's a nice item.

At first I was a bit skeptical but in looking closer you can clearly see the nice age and cracking of the paint.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I can't help with ID but that does look interesting.
    You mentioned trench art. Does it have any marking on the underside of the base?

Semper Fi
    Phil

interesting piece
    Last edited by Chopperman; 09-27-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks guys. There's a story here, I just don't know what it is. I described it as trench art, but I'm not sure it qualifies as such, but not sure how to describe it otherwise. Unsure if it's a candle stick or if it held a glass ashtray? I'm now wondering if it might be Danish or even Russian with the oval device with sabers. Really hoping someone can ID. Thanks to all- Dave

- - ------- - -

Hi Phil. Nope. No markings on the base. D

to me, the "coat of arms" bears a strong resemblance to a US
    DUI "Distinctive Unit Insignia"
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.