Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI German Trench Art Shell

Article about: Hi everyone! Apologies for the crappy photos but I am seeking your advice... I found this neat trench art shell and I know absolutely nothing about ordnance. I found it in a small local anti

Default WWI German Trench Art Shell

Hi everyone! Apologies for the crappy photos but I am seeking your advice...

I found this neat trench art shell and I know absolutely nothing about ordnance. I found it in a small local antique store and its the first time I've ever found anything worth looking at. The lighting is terrible in there but I can make out a dragon in the design and the tale wraps around the whole shell. Their price is $350, is that steep for a piece like this?

Thank you in advance!!! -John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Trench Art Shell   WWI German Trench Art Shell  

I am not able to make out the city name. Prices are all over the board on trench art due to the type of subject matter on the shell. I would not add to my collection for $375. $175 I might consider it.
    John

Thank you for your comment John! I believe its Polte Magdeburg, August of 1915. I just want to double check to make sure I'm not missing out by leaving it behind, its not often I actually find something in person anymore. And I agree, if it was even $200 I'd buy it just to help out the business but $350 seems out of this world.

A dragon on a WWI German shell seems odd but I did find two other shells with a etched dragon on it. One seller said it was related to the Chinese Labour Corps but I guess its one of those things we'll never know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Trench Art Shell   WWI German Trench Art Shell  

MAP
    ?

Definitely an Asian theme. Whether Chinese or Japanese I can't tell. Don't ask me why but it seems more Japanese to me.

Possible if it is a Japanese capture item? They did fight the Germans in Asia.

Offer the shop a standing $200 offer. If they don't get the price they are asking (which IMHO is way too high) they can always reconsider and sell to you. I often find that antique shops vastly overprice anything military related
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Honestly when I first saw it I thought it was WWII Pacific themed trench art until I saw it was a WWI German shell. I guess we'll never know the definite story. Also, just for reference he are some more examples of Chinese Labor Corps Trench art I've found.

I'm going to try to go back tomorrow and leave an offer... Hopefully its a positive outcome!

Looks more like a shishi dog(or lion) than a dragon to me. Shishi are in both Chinese and Japanese cultures from what I understand so that doesn’t really help with why it’s on there very much, but I do know they are literally everywhere in Okinawa.

Seems extremely priced to be honest.

Hi everyone! Well I went back and I now have my first engraved trench art piece, I did get the price down a little bit but I still overpaid (only thanks to the labor day discount)... I'm still happy with it and I guess that's all that matters and I want to thank everyone for their advice.

Here's some pictures. From the measurements I believe its a shell for a 15cm Krupp S.K. L/43 Kanone 16.

WWI German Trench Art Shell   WWI German Trench Art Shell  

WWI German Trench Art Shell   WWI German Trench Art Shell  

MAP
    ?

Congratulations!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Makes a nice helm stand! As long as you are happy with it John that is what counts. We all have our own ideas but our overriding interests are broadly the same. Happy Labour Day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast