Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to Identify

Article about: Greetings All I have had this WWI German wallet for some time and would like some help in researching it's original owner. Eventually, I would like to return it to his Family. One of My rela

?

Default WWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to Identify

Greetings All

I have had this WWI German wallet for some time and would like some help in researching it's original owner. Eventually, I would like to return it to his Family.

One of My relatives Percy Corbett was a Stretcher Bearer who killed in the final weeks of the War. He was in the first wave of Passchendaele and won the Military Medal for Bravery directing Stretcher Bearers to clear the Battlefield under intense fire. Percy was killed in a quiet period at the Front when a Sniper shot him in the head while he was trying to recover a wounded German soldier in No Man's Land. His body was quickly buried then lost. Percy's name in on the Vimy Memorial.

In his Honour I would like to somehow get this wallet back to this Soldier's descendants.

The Story:

Canadian Machine Gunner Corporal Reginald Dyer 74320 took this off a dead German soldier at Vimy Ridge in 1917. I got the Wallet from his Son and it also contained Reginald's WWI papers. Reg was wounded several times but survived the War and came back to Canada in 1919.

I have included a couple of Reginald's papers with the note he wrote describing how He got the Wallet.

The photos and post cards are in very poor condition due to water damage.

The name on several of the cards is EUGEN MARKE or MARTE and possibly Pionier.

Also, there are a couple other Post Cards with different names (Wilhelm Graff? 6/1918) included. Not sure where they were picked up but considering the 1918 date on one it was after the Vimy Battle.

My German cursive reading is not so great so I am hoping some eagle eyed person can help me figure it out.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Rob

WWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to IdentifyWWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to Identify

CBH
    ?

Interesting find, I hope someone can help you find the family.
    Best of luck and stay safe.

Think this might be him, the only Eugen Marte listed.
    WWI Vimy Ridge German Wallet to Identify

I did locate 2 casualties named Wilhelm Graf from Infanterie Regiment 58, but their surnames were spelt with only one G and neither were from 1st Kompanie so I don't think these are the man addressed on the feldpost.

Very interesting piece of history about both the wallet and your grandfather Rob. I do hope you can find out some more information about the original owner.

Andy