Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zehnpfund Hotel Theodor-Nolte-Strasse 2, Thale, 1914-1918

Article about: This is a postcard of the Zehnpfund (ten-pound) Hotel in Thale in Sachsen-Anhalt. The "Zehnpfund" hotel was built by the Magdeburg-Halberstädter Eisenbahn gesellschaft in the imme

Default Zehnpfund Hotel Theodor-Nolte-Strasse 2, Thale, 1914-1918

This is a postcard of the Zehnpfund (ten-pound) Hotel in Thale in Sachsen-Anhalt. The "Zehnpfund" hotel was built by the Magdeburg-Halberstädter Eisenbahn gesellschaft in the immediate vicinity of the train station and opened in 1863 as a luxury Hotel. For many years the building was the largest summer hotel in Germany with more than 100 rooms and suites. In 1914 it was converted to a Military Hospital. The operating rooms were on the balcony floor behind the balcony windows
    I have 3 questions:
    1.Does anyone know what medical unit occupied the hotel during WWI?
    2. Can anyone provide what is written on the sign in either German or English? I am unable to make-out the information on the sign in front of the soldiers who are probably medical orderlies or doctors’ assistants.
    3. Are the caps and uniforms unique to medical staff soldiers? I suspect that the men wearing aprons are operating room assistants; any other ideas? Dwight

Dear Dwight,

Interesting photos, thank you for showing.

For 2., written on the board:
    5. Korporalschaft / 5. Squad
    Kriegsfreiw. (Kriegsfreiwillige) / war volunteers
    E.K. (for Eisernes Kreuz?, for 'Ersatz-Kompanie'? / replacement company?) 1914, 1. S.B. (Sanitätsbataillon?) / medic battalion?

Nevertheless, German abbreviation used usually for medics it's 'San'. Or 'S.B.' for Seebataillon (marines) even? The piping of the caps and the collar patches looks similar according to some sources I saw. Maybe soldiers who were almost recovered from injury or illness had to help for daily duties like cleaning the rooms?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

alter musketier; Thanks for the help. Sanitätsbataillon is correct in this case. The original photo is much larger and shows a mob of ambulatory patients on the balcony. I am going to spend some time seeing what I can learn about their uniforms. I saw your squib at the bottom of your post about your family members in both wars. An uncle, Alex, was killed in the 11 November "celebratory" Allied artillery barge on 11 November 1918 and my cousin Fred Götze was a Panzer Pioneer on the Eastern Front