Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone know anything about this uniform?

Article about: I have a pic of my husbands grandfather in a military uniform. He lived in Russia until 1907 when he immigrated to America. We assume this is a Russian uniform. There is no family stories of

?

Default Anyone know anything about this uniform?

I have a pic of my husbands grandfather in a military uniform. He lived in Russia until 1907 when he immigrated to America. We assume this is a Russian uniform. There is no family stories of him being in the military, and nobody know why we have the picture. I have scoured the internet trying to find a uniform that matches his without any success. Does anyone recognize the uniform so I can figure out which branch or duty he was in so I can research further?
    Anyone know anything about this uniform?

The things on his shoulders ( i forget what they are called) remind me of a musicians uniform. Do you know if he played an instrument?

I agree. The Drummer always had "shoulder guards" under his epaulettes.

?

The shoulder "wings" for musicians were called swallows nests in the German Army.
    Clearly, this is an NCO, likely a sergeant, given the braid on the shoulder boards & the collar.
    Hard to say what branch; Russian uniforms changed greatly around 1907-1908, back to the more European style from the traditional Russian style implemented by the late Alexander III.
    The all white cap is inusual, unless it's a cover for warmer months, worn in the field.
    I cannot determine arm of service from the photo.

BobS