Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help with identifying a uniform.

Article about: Hi, I need help to know for sure what military my great grandfather was in. Born 2 Dec 1857 Friedenstal, South Russia He would have served in the late 1870 to 1880. My father told me that my

Question Need Help with identifying a uniform.

Hi,
    I need help to know for sure what military my great grandfather was in.
    Born 2 Dec 1857 Friedenstal, South Russia
    He would have served in the late 1870 to 1880.
    My father told me that my great grandfather's headstone photo is him in a Prussian uniform.
    I found an old obituary in the home town paper that said he served 6 years in the Russian Army with the rank of Petty Officer.
    Did the Russian army have Petty officers?

Attached are several photos, one is the headstone the other two are the front and back side of the card.
    Thank you in advance.

Robert Walker
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help with identifying a uniform.   Need Help with identifying a uniform.  

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum.

While we wait for others, I hopefully can provide a bit of color but note that I am not a uniform collector so there is not much I can help out with on that front. With the exception that this is not 1860's /1870's period Prussian.

Hopefully, I can shed a bit of information.

If you look at the Pistol the soldier on the left is holding. It appears to be a Russian M1870 Galand Revolver. These were a French designed pistol but were licenced by the Russians to be used in the Russian Navy.

Here are two links for the pistol

RIA: Russian M1870 Galand Revolver (Video) – Forgotten Weapons

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

So assuming I correctly ID'ed the pistol...My guess is that your Great Grandfather was probably in the Russian Navy. And as this weapon was adopted in 1870, this photo is no earlier than that.

So again, until others come around, some Google searching should uncover examples of Russian Navy petty officer uniforms to compare too!

Hope this helps.

Edit: Might also want to try to ID the sword.....That may debunk my theory if it is not Naval.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you very much for your input on this. I hope that others will be able to add to this and to have a better understanding of my great grandfather.

MAP
    ?

Unfortunately I can't help anymore and not even sure if what I provide is correct (although I'm pretty sure what the pistol is).

Hopefully others may know.

He is a blow up of the grave photo.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The photo is definitely not sailors!
    Pay attention to the homemade coloring of shoulder straps and buttonholes in green!
    I can assume that these soldiers had something to do with the border troops (OKPS)