Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Uniform from Ukraine c.1900

Article about: This may be the wrong place for this thread, but I can't find a better match. This is my wife's great uncle from a family photograph taken in Shargorod, Vinnitsa, Ukraine around 1900. The fa

DrYattz
    ?

Default Uniform from Ukraine c.1900

This may be the wrong place for this thread, but I can't find a better match.

This is my wife's great uncle from a family photograph taken in Shargorod, Vinnitsa, Ukraine around 1900. The family was Jewish. By 1905 he has immigrated to the US, under the name David Corn.

Can anyone identify the uniform? The rank?

Is there any possibility of researching this soldier's military record?

Rees Chapman
    on Gmail at winwinsit
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform from Ukraine c.1900  

?

Default Re: Uniform from Ukraine c.1900

Hi,

The uniform is pre 1907 so should be the 1882 patten. From what I can make out I think it may be a Dragoon regiment as that type of hat seems to fit for this period. His shoulder boards have a single stripe across which would give him the rank of Prikazni ( Lance corporal) They also look like they have a crown above a cypher which from the general shape I think may be that of the HIH the Empress Maria Feodorovna. This suggest that it may be the 2nd Life Dragoons Pskovski. He also has a badge for Excellence in shooting 2nd grade. This is just a suggestion especially with regards to the regiment as the image is not that clear

Regards

IainM

DrYattz
    ?

Iain,

Thanks VERY MUCH for the intriguing information! Where might I find more info online about this regiment? Google searches show me stuff about regiments disbanded in the 1700s.

And, do you guess the Dragoons from the emblam on the hat, the 2-headed dragon?

DrYattz at winwinsit at Google dor com

?

Dr Yattz,

The badge is the two headed eagle with a scroll and cockade behind it. The dragoons are a type of light cavalry which in the Russian army were really a mounted infantry. They would dismount to engage the enemy with their carbines where possible. By the 1880s most Generals probably understood that cavalry charges were likely to be cut down by modern weaponry. Although Cavalry engagements did take place in the following World War.

I am NOT that certain that your picture is a dragoon. It is the shape of the hat and the shoulder boards that made me think that he might be. If the cypher on the boards is the one I think, then there are only a limited number of regiments that would have it.

I have had a bit more time to look at it today and have been through my archive of pictures and have also found images that are similar to yours. But I cannot say which regiments they are as the type of cap in 112A was common in that period.

Regards.

IainM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform from Ukraine c.1900  
    Attached Images Attached Images Uniform from Ukraine c.1900  Uniform from Ukraine c.1900 
    Last edited by IainM; 10-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.