Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak

Article about: Hi, picked this tombak IAB up recently. It came from a private seller who owned it briefly after acquiring it from "General Assault Militaria" in the Netherlands - an excellent dea

?

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak

Hi, picked this tombak IAB up recently. It came from a private seller who owned it briefly after acquiring it from "General Assault Militaria" in the Netherlands - an excellent dealer I only discovered as a result of buying this badge!

Home - Generalassaultmilitaria

I also learn't that Otto Schickle of Pfzorzheim only made badges in the early part of the war, apparently falling out (?) with the local Nazi Party hierarchy and losing his licence to produce such items in July 1941, hence few (if any) Schickle badges being found in Zinc which I believe was mainly used from around 1942 onwards.

I understand that another local Pforzheim maker (B H Mayer) bought the dies and production facilities after Schickle closed down, creating a nightmare for post-war collectors - B H Mayer Zinc badges looking like Schickles because Schickle dies were used etc!

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak
    P
    Many

?

Otto Schickle was based at 35, Zerrennerstrasse in Pforzheim. In 1945 Pforzheim was heavily bombed, and I believe the premises were flattened. I can find little information regarding the company or the fate of Herr Schickle, if anyone knows any more I would be interested to hear simply out of curiosity.

Some pictures of Zerrennerstrasse 'before and after' (now a cinema complex!), and some period catalogue pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak  

?

I couldn't resist this badge as a few years ago I added it's Silver 'twin' to the collection:-

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Otto Schickle (Pforzheim) in Tombak / Buntmetall

The Silver is a slightly earlier (polished highlights) example with the first type 'wire' catch, rather than the later type 'flat sheet metal' catch, as identified by someone with more knowledge than me! Of course the Bronze badge was introduced slightly later (01.06.40) than the Silver (20.12.39), and up to July 1941 specifically for the Schickle badge...

Some pictures of the 'twins'.

Regards, Paul

Very nice, l have the very same as the one on the black background stamped L/18 on the pin for BH Mayer but using the Schickle dies, or did Mayer use Schickle old stock & put there own Ldo number on the pin! Intresting, Regards, Paul

?

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Very nice, l have the very same as the one on the black background stamped L/18 on the pin for BH Mayer but using the Schickle dies, or did Mayer use Schickle old stock & put there own Ldo number on the pin! Intresting, Regards, Paul
    Interesting indeed!

It does seem plausible that a manufacturer would have some stock in house, particularly if the business came to an abrupt end, so perhaps old stock Schickle badges did indeed have B H Mayer markings added later on.

Best regards, Paul

Quote by PaulW View Post
    Interesting indeed!

It does seem plausible that a manufacturer would have some stock in house, particularly if the business came to an abrupt end, so perhaps old stock Schickle badges did indeed have B H Mayer markings added later on.

Best regards, Paul
    I do believe that is the case, as other awards can be found with this configuration.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Schickle produced these badges and sold them to Mayer which marked them L/18, Mayer also bought from P&L.

Jordan

Hello

Congrats on your new acquisition, looks to be a nice example.

In looking at the obverse, especially in the background recesses it looks like this one is actually a silver grade.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze, Otto Schickle unmarked tombak  

Also, the reverse can be deceiving as well.
    Some examples from this maker can be found with a different coating on the reverse that gives the appearance of a bronze finish when indeed the ISA is a silver grade.

Here is one I have with this attribute.

Best Regards, fischer

?

Hi fischer, glad you like it!

I see what you mean with your example, interesting.

Here is my Silver and Bronze Schickle reserve sides, different to yours (I'm sure there were variations as you say).

I just had my Bronze under the magnifying glass (side by side with my Silver), it's either dust or some kind of residue, definitely not Silver though (light purplish-grey if anything).

Best regards, Paul