Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL, Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied

Article about: A new addition to my IAB collection. Even though the silver finish on the obverse is not mint, it is virtually an unworn badge. It would appear that someone got a little overzealous with the

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL, Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied

A new addition to my IAB collection. Even though the silver finish on the obverse is not mint, it is virtually an unworn badge.
    It would appear that someone got a little overzealous with the solder on the catch.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied
    P
    Many

That's an attractive badge and will display nicely...I don't think the solder is that bad...we've seen far worse, and the finish is quite nice as well...
    Thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn

- - Updated - -

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    That's an attractive badge and will display nicely...I don't think the solder is that bad...we've seen far worse, and the finish is quite nice as well...
    Thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn
    Thanks Glenn!
    Of course, you are correct.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

a nice badge Ralph.

Although FLL were known for heavy use of solder on some of their badges, the yellowish residue seen on this badge is not solder, it's actually the flux that is applied when soldering to enable a good flow/adherence of the solder and at the same time clean the metals being joined of oxides thus ensuring a strong joint with a minimum of porosity. The flux used then was a rosin based one extracted from pine trees and similar coniferous woods.

Another cracking Badge Ralph!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    a nice badge Ralph.
    Thanks Harry!
    Ralph.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Although FLL were known for heavy use of solder on some of their badges, the yellowish residue seen on this badge is not solder, it's actually the flux that is applied when soldering to enable a good flow/adherence of the solder and at the same time clean the metals being joined of oxides thus ensuring a strong joint with a minimum of porosity. The flux used then was a rosin based one extracted from pine trees and similar coniferous woods.

Another cracking Badge Ralph!
    Thaks Ned!
    I am familiar with the need for flux for soldering, I was referring to the excess of solder under the yellow flux that almost obscures the base of the catch.
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph

Congrats on your latest addition...

FLL has a long progression of examples starting with the early hollow NS examples, zinc hollows, solid zincs with various different hardware types and attachment methods to finally back to a zinc hollow. Because of this, FLL is quite a challenge to collect all the variants this maker produced.

This hollow is considered the later version of the two zinc hollows FLL made. The obverse design differs from the earlier ones and the hardware is different. If you look at the catch you will see it is specifically made for a zinc solid "rivet" type attachment like the example I post below. FLL probably went back to the hollow construction for material savings and made use of the left over hardware. Because of this, we can conclude this hollow came after the zinc solid variants.

As Ned states, the yellow areas around the hinge and catch areas is flux and a trait frequently encountered on these silver grade late hollows. And, the excess solder on the catch was necessary due to this style of catch was not made for a hollow but the rivet type solid.

A great looking example Ralph, top catch!

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, FLL,  Freidrich Linden, Ludenschied  

Quote by fischer View Post
    Hi Ralph

Congrats on your latest addition...

FLL has a long progression of examples starting with the early hollow NS examples, zinc hollows, solid zincs with various different hardware types and attachment methods to finally back to a zinc hollow. Because of this, FLL is quite a challenge to collect all the variants this maker produced.

This hollow is considered the later version of the two zinc hollows FLL made. The obverse design differs from the earlier ones and the hardware is different. If you look at the catch you will see it is specifically made for a zinc solid "rivet" type attachment like the example I post below. FLL probably went back to the hollow construction for material savings and made use of the left over hardware. Because of this, we can conclude this hollow came after the zinc solid variants.

As Ned states, the yellow areas around the hinge and catch areas is flux and a trait frequently encountered on these silver grade late hollows. And, the excess solder on the catch was necessary due to this style of catch was not made for a hollow but the rivet type solid.

A great looking example Ralph, top catch!

Best Regards, fischer
    Thanks fischer!
    I have been keeping my eye open for a solid back, rivet catch example that would fit my collection for a while but have not seen very many . I thought this one would do for now.
    Ralph.
    Nice example BTW!

"I thought this one would do for now."....oh, you poor soul...you'll just have to Suffer! lol What a Killer of a badge! It's almost certainly unissued! I'd take a chance and say that they don't get Too much better than this beauty! Nice pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast