MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber

Article about: Hello, Here is the first award of this type I have. I think it's a rather nice looking award with plenty of detail. My understanding is that it was made by Alois Rettenmaier and is known as

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber

Hello,

Here is the first award of this type I have.
    I think it's a rather nice looking award with plenty of detail.

Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in SilberInfanterie Sturmabzeicher in SilberInfanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber

My understanding is that it was made by Alois Rettenmaier and is known as the 'broken stem'
    However my knowledge is somewhat limited shall we say, so I could well be wrong
    lets face it, it wouldn't be the first time!

Jonathan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber
    P
    Many

Jonathan I think you mean a 5 stem version.a very nice badge.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    Jonathan I think you mean a 5 stem version.a very nice badge.
    No H,

This badge was known as the "Broken Stem" IAB up until a couple of seperate hoard finds last year in Belgium and Austria proved the link to Rettenmaier. The reason for the name "Broken Stem" comes from the flawed vein on the left hand oak leaf that I've highlighted from one of the above pics.

Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice example Jonathan, I agree with Ned. Here's my bronze variant. Stewy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber   Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber  

That's a cracker Stewy, nice one.
    Could you let me know where you got those display stands from, I could do with a few!

Jonathan.

Hello Jonathan

Congrats on adding another fine example to your collection...

As Ned pointed out, the die flaw in the 3L wreath leaf position is the attribute that the nickname derives from.

The "Broken Stem" ISA has been attributed to the firm of Alois Rettenmaier - LDO L/59, PKA 16 with a horde find in late 2013 at the site of an old LDO retail shop.
    Contained with this find were some mini's in a L/59 stamped packet, 16 marked Black Wound Badge, various WW1 type Wound Badge's, Krim shields, Drivers Badge; all contained in LDO marked cellophane packets.
    Also found with multiple tinnies, NSDAP pins, etc. was an ISA bronze grade "Broken Stem" still in it's LDO cellophane packet.

Also among the badges was an order form from the maker Alois Rettenmaier that listed Kampf-Abzeichen as a purchase option.

This (and earlier forensic hunches) is basically how attribution of this ISA as well as the other "flat-back"combat badges to Rettenmaier came about.

This was a great discovery and it provides further substance to the argument that Rettenmaier was the manufacturer of this ISA.
    But for me, this is argument is not conclusive IMO and I still consider it conjecture.

Here is the ISA that was part of this Austrian Boarder horde find.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber   Infanterie Sturmabzeicher in Silber  

Thank you everyone for the added information.
    I think they are a very nice design and I am very pleased with this one.

Jonathan.

Very usefull tread indeed. And I agree with Jonathan, this one has plenty of detail. Great IAB. Many thanks for all of the info!