Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1 World War - silver commemorative (RIFLE SWEETHEART BADGE) brooches for which units?

Article about: 1 World War - silver commemorative (RIFLE SWEETHEART BADGE) brooches for which units? 1 2

?

Default 1 World War - silver commemorative (RIFLE SWEETHEART BADGE) brooches for which units?

1 World War - silver commemorative (RIFLE SWEETHEART BADGE) brooches for which units?

RE would be for Royal Engineers.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    RE would be for Royal Engineers.
    Thank you. Yes, I also thought.

And the second brooch - it's not "Yeomen of the Guard" by any chance?

I would say you are correct.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would say you are correct.
    Tell me, please, did the "Yeomen of the Guard" take part in the battles of World War 1? Are there any photographs of these "Yeomen of the Guard" from the period 1914-1915?

MAP
    ?

Quote by SMERSH View Post
    Tell me, please, did the "Yeomen of the Guard" take part in the battles of World War 1? Are there any photographs of these "Yeomen of the Guard" from the period 1914-1915?
    Apparently they did not.

See link below on their history.

The Yeomen of the Guard - Historic UK

".....The Yeomen of the Guard also took to the field of battle, the last time at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743 during the reign of King George II. From then on their role became purely ceremonial, that is until 1914 when at the outbreak of the First World War, King George V requested that they again resume guarding the royal palaces, thus releasing the police elsewhere....."
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Apparently they did not.

See link below on their history.

The Yeomen of the Guard - Historic UK

".....The Yeomen of the Guard also took to the field of battle, the last time at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743 during the reign of King George II. From then on their role became purely ceremonial, that is until 1914 when at the outbreak of the First World War, King George V requested that they again resume guarding the royal palaces, thus releasing the police elsewhere....."
    I'm afraid to make a mistake, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that some division of the "Yeomen of the Guard" nevertheless fought in Europe in the Battle of the Marne. And somewhere else slipped information that the volunteer "Yeomen of the Guard" took part in the battle of Ypres.

Once again, I could be wrong! I ask the professionals to correct me! (or supplement the real history of "Yeomen of the Guard")

MAP
    ?

Quote by SMERSH View Post
    I'm afraid to make a mistake, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that some division of the "Yeomen of the Guard" nevertheless fought in Europe in the Battle of the Marne. And somewhere else slipped information that the volunteer "Yeomen of the Guard" took part in the battle of Ypres.

Once again, I could be wrong! I ask the professionals to correct me! (or supplement the real history of "Yeomen of the Guard")
    I would wait for others who are more familiar with this to opine. The link I provided stated that individual Yeomen of the Guards were allowed to join the army during WW1 but made no mention of them going as a group.

Furthermore, and happy to be corrected on this, but the Yeomen of the Guard are very small in number of ~50 men in total

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Colleagues - can someone show photos of the "Yeomen of the Guard" of the period 1914-1915-1916-1917-1918?

I could not find these photos in search services.

If the "Yeomen of the Guard" - then she always had to follow King George 5! Those. this "Yeomen of the Guard" was supposed to protect him during all official visits to the front line.
    Then at least some official photographs of these "Yeomen of the Guard" of the period 1914-1918 should have been preserved.

Or I'm wrong?
    Last edited by SMERSH; 10-28-2022 at 05:59 AM.

MAP
    ?

I just realized that the photos are posted using a hosting site. Per the forum rules, please upload the photos directly to the forum.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast