Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

101st Airborne Patches

Article about: Hello folks, First ‘help needed’ post in a while. Normally I’m comfortable enough doing my own research these days, but given the complexity of identifying these particular patches I t

Default 101st Airborne Patches

Hello folks,

First ‘help needed’ post in a while. Normally I’m comfortable enough doing my own research these days, but given the complexity of identifying these particular patches I thought I’d humbly pick the brains of the resident experts. US insignia is not my forte, so forgive any obvious errors on my part.

I’ve recently discovered a pair of 101st Airborne ‘screaming eagle’ patches for sale, advertised as being of WWII vintage. I understand the important details of WWII patches concern the shape of the eyes, the colour of the backing, and the ‘snowy’ appearance of the back side. It’s my understanding that these were produced postwar using the same manufacturing techniques as wartime examples, so I’d like some opinions on these ones before I commit to a purchase.

Many thanks, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 101st Airborne Patches   101st Airborne Patches  

101st Airborne Patches   101st Airborne Patches  

Giving this thread a bump for the benefit of the night owls.

After some additional reading, I believe these to be type 14 patches.

B.B.

Hi B B
    This is going to be confusing!

Going by Bando's site and known examples on uniforms etc.The first image is WWII era

The second image is dabateable and is post WWII due to scribble eye , however Bando had a booklet produced which showed more images that he could and did not put on his site as there were minor variations.

Now saying that , due to the excess of khaki twill shown some will label that as not cut back to the edge and post war example.

Very little manufacturing and production of schiffli embroidered patches changed from 1942 early 50's , the same machines, the same tapes and the same people produced the patches.

If the second patch was in my collection I would have it as 1945-1950 and wait until further documented proof of WWII use.

The kicker is all Airborne tabs were rescinded in 1946-1948(although some units retainned it ie 11th AB ) also the 101st did not use a tab until 1953(?) as it was a training division-this has been documented.

Confusing yes!

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi B B
    This is going to be confusing!

Going by Bando's site and known examples on uniforms etc.The first image is WWII era

The second image is dabateable and is post WWII due to scribble eye , however Bando had a booklet produced which showed more images that he could and did not put on his site as there were minor variations.

Now saying that , due to the excess of khaki twill shown some will label that as not cut back to the edge and post war example.

Very little manufacturing and production of schiffli embroidered patches changed from 1942 early 50's , the same machines, the same tapes and the same people produced the patches.

If the second patch was in my collection I would have it as 1945-1950 and wait until further documented proof of WWII use.

The kicker is all Airborne tabs were rescinded in 1946-1948(although some units retainned it ie 11th AB ) also the 101st did not use a tab until 1953(?) as it was a training division-this has been documented.

Confusing yes!

Phill
    Thanks for that, Phill! The scribble eye of the second example did have me thinking it was postwar, but it’s nice to have some confirmation there. Bando was my main source of research, and though it was a little confusing, there’s some interesting nuggets of information to pick out there. Luckily I’m able to buy each tab individually, so may just go for the first one. They’re reasonably priced, so even if it’s postwar I’d still say it’s a pretty good buy.

Regards, B.B.

Your welcome BB

Just a point on tabs , you need to get the correct matching tab otherwise it wont be the correct look.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Your welcome BB

Just a point on tabs , you need to get the correct matching tab otherwise it wont be the correct look.

Phill
    I’m already on the case, so no worries there!

B.B.