Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan

Article about: Here we go Smitty No rare patch's, all comments and input welcomed. Some what harder to find with matching tab Standard known 187th SSI. Manufacture flaw-variation in colour. Manufacturers v

Default 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan

Here we go Smitty

No rare patch's, all comments and input welcomed.

Some what harder to find with matching tab

Attachment 1097556

Standard known 187th SSI.

Attachment 1097557

Manufacture flaw-variation in colour.

Attachment 1097558

Manufacturers variation note UN Colour

Attachment 1097559

Possible Theatre made however cannot determine whether German made?

Attachment 1097560

Finally one with a made in anticipation and or for collectors.

This was never authorized , worn or issued as with most tabs but most importantly NO US unit would of been under control of the UN. I have only displayed as this appears in books.

Attachment 1097561

Phill

Phil,

Beautiful examples...

I have several as well in my collection.. Will have to take some pics and post them too..

Smitty

Very nice grouping Phill!

Thanks guys

Smitty would you know about the colour change to a lighter blue/UN blue.

I do not know why the colour changed , all I can say it is not the official color back ground making them made in anticipation possibly even post war.

Please add to the post including Vietnam to cold war era 3/187th Infantry Regt-Iron Rakkasans.

Phill

Phill

Phil,

Here are a few examples from my collection. These insignia belonged to Chaplain Colonel Holland O. Hope who was with the 187th and made 1 of the combat jumps in Korea with them. HE was awarded the Silver Star for leading an attack on a surrounded 187th unit. Chaplain Hope was also awarded the Combat Infantryman's Badge, which is very rare for a Chaplain to receive. I have Chaplain Hope's uniforms and collection. I will post it when I have some time..

You will notice that all the patches I have uploaded have subtle differences, the color, from sky blue, to the fabled "UN Blue" to Royal blue and also the differences in the parachutes, some are short and stubby, others are longer, some have separated static lines and some have 4 static lines and others have 5 and the first approved insignia (dark royal blue with attached AIRBORNE tab has connected static lines).

You will also notice variations in the wings, long and slim, some with detailed feathers, one is outlined in blue, these I believe are all manufacturing differences.

I also included a picture of the 187th Association jacket/blazer patch.

There is also a picture of me in from of Bravo Company 3/187 Infantry Barracks at Fort Campbell. I was a member of C. Company and our barracks were to the immediate right. Bravo's nickname were the Bastards and C Company was "Choppin Charlie" and the mascot was a henchmen with black mask and two sided axe.

I had just returned from Jungle Warfare School in Panama and you can see the subdued "Jungle Expert" patch on the pocket of my jungle fatigues.

In 1985 at the Rakkasan reunion in Hartford, Connecticut, the 3rd Battalion 187th Infantry was given honorary membership into the association. One of the Korean era Rakkasans gave me this patch..

I have most of these variations or combinations of the 187th and 11th Airborne Division patches on several of the 187th uniforms in my collection. I have to start a topic and post them as well..

In reference to the question regarding the colors of the insignia. I can't recall where I read some information, it may be in one of the 187th Unit History books that I have or one of the Rakkasan newspapers. I will have to research and let you know..

Enjoy...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan   187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan  

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan   187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan  

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan   187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan  

Attached Images Attached Images 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan 

Hi Smitty

Great to see the Vietnam era OG 107's in use as late as the mid 80's(?). "Chopin Charlie" a great name legacy left over from Vietnam!

Yes all those minor variations are classic examples , for those who don't collect US patches, of the schiffli embroidery and how individual manufacturers could add their signature in producing so many variations.

3/187th has a proud history and always great to see veterans who collect and share their passion for their Regiment.

Here are several Caribbean Defense Command Panama 50's-60's era,not JWS but thought I post anyway.

Attachment 1097775

Attachment 1097776

Excellent Smitty , can't wait to see the uniforms.

Phill

Phill,

I was looking through some of my 187th Unit History books and found some very interesting information about the shoulder insignia. Initially the color of Infantry Blue was adopted for the patch which was designed while the 187th was in combat in Korea. General Matthew B. Ridgeway, Commander of Far East Command gave approval for the temporary wear of the insignia until the approval of the one that we now know as the official insignia. ( Ultramarine Blue color)

This information came from a small RAKKASAN Booklet that I have in my collection. It also details the ovals for the Regiment as well as the Field Artillery and AAA unit in support of the RCT.

I can date this book to 1953/1954 time frame when General Lindquist took command of the 187th. (October 1953 to July 1955) During his time as the Commander, the 187th was in Japan, back from the Korean War and was getting ready to return to the US by 1955.

I have several unit histories for the Rakkasans, some of them very rare and hard to find, this booklet being one of the harder to find ones..

Enjoy

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan   187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Rakkasan  

Much appreciated Smitty.

Excellent reference material.

I still don't understand why the use of the colour ultramarine blue and the actual colour shade. When I look at the oval and compare to the ultramarine Blue SSI they are 2 different colours although they are meant to be the same. This has always perplexed me , while I don't have the official drawing of the 187th , I do have the the DA-OQMG 1949 with an ammendment dates 51,52,54,56 with white cable on ultramarine blue cable for the 187th , the same cable colour cable for the 11th and 82nd Abn. Some where along the way the actual colour has been misinterpreted.

Now for the UN colour explanation!!!

cheers

Phill

?

Hey Rakkasan187. Good to see a brother here! 27x years airborne & infantry. Thanks for the good info. I have a Korean War M-38 era jeep set up as a scout vehicle from the 187th. Several KW vets tell me, "the first jump was with MBs/GPWs.... but you know airdrop life-expectancy" They were using M38s on the second jump =) My military vehicle club goes to a lot of rodeo parades [imagine that in MT] & car shows every summer + 4th July + Memorial Day parades. But I sure meet a lot of Rakkasans, WW2 [not so many] Korea, Vietnam, Iraq [my alma matta] & Afghanistan. Some great discussions. The Korean War guys are kick-ass & start acting like they're 19 ! Anyway, an unloaded pic of my jeepster, & if you're ever in MT....
    last pic was from when I was young & beautiful, in 1981 1/509th + Alpini Paracadutisti