Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

2nd US Armored Division - Heel on Wheels

Article about: Hello, I would like to have your opinion on this patch if it is WW2 ? Thank you for your time and expertise. Best regards.

?

Default 2nd US Armored Division - Heel on Wheels

Hello,
    I would like to have your opinion on this patch if it is WW2 ?
    Thank you for your time and expertise.
    Best regards.

I believe this is post WW2 based on the darker OD border. WW2 era armor triangles have a lighter OD green border. I would date this to the late 40's 1948-1949 to the early 50s (1950-1953)..

The separate HELL ON WHEELS tab was not a WW2 insignia although many uniforms show the addition of the tab sewn under the armor triangle. The HELL ON WHEELS tab was not authorized until 1954.

Like the 1st Armored Division tab OLD IRONSIDES, that tab was not authorized until February 21, 1956.

It was not uncommon in the post war years to see these tabs appear and then sewn under the Armor triangle patches (in an unofficial capacity). The tabs were later incorporated into the armor triangles as a whole patch and not 2 separate pieces. The full incorporation of the Armored triangle and tab for the 2nd Armored Division was not approved until 1970 making it a one piece patch.

The First Armored Division Patch and tab were made into a one piece insignia on November 5, 1970..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

?

Thank you Smitty for all this information and for your time.
    Phil.

Phil.

My pleasure.. Stay safe

Smitty

Hi Fabie

Smitty is correct , just one slight addition.

The SSI is Army Green border c1954 with the tab attached April 1954(revised june/august 54).

This was for the then new AG class A uniform , so we are looking at 1954-56 period when the division was stationed in Germany(1952) between 1954-64.

Tabs were unauthorized and were allowed by commanders and were worn typically during occupation period, very few were worn during WWII , only one has been ID as WWII to date.

You will see many theatre made tabs for armoured divisions from 1946-54 period before they were authorized.

Below is a post WWII c 1946

Phill

?

Thank you Phill for all these details. Top.
    always surprised at the knowledge you have!!!
    Thanks again.