Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

5th Royal Irish Lancers cap badge, knowledge needed!!

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Going through the cavalry cap badges in my collection I have come back to one that has puzzled me for a long tim. Not this particular example but the badge in general;

Default 5th Royal Irish Lancers cap badge, knowledge needed!!

Good afternoon gents,

Going through the cavalry cap badges in my collection I have come back to one that has puzzled me for a long time. Not this particular example but the badge in general;

I have for some years held an example in my collection which I regard as a "gap filler" repro because whilst it has apparent age, applied white metal lower halves of the guidons, applied white metal '5' and a tool mark on the slider (which looks suspicious under magnification) it has a flat back which I have always believed is not correct in a genuine badge.

Looking over several sources and dealers lists I have seen wide variation in physical characteristics and price (low double figures to low three figures). I have even seen a very new looking item purporting to be an officers badge all in white metal, very flat back and a very modern looking "STERLING SILVER" stamp for the same price as a the most common WWI brass economy badges. OK, that's an extreme example but you get the idea.

Most British cap badges can fairly easily be sorted between genuine / fake-repro once you know what to look for but this badge in general has always been a bit of a mystery to me as I can't seem to find a consensus on variations of genuine pieces.

I can think of a couple of members here who I expect will know the answers straight away so hopefully I shall not be disappointed

Apologies for the poor pictures but the light was dreadful here when I took these.

I would hope to complie a visual reference as to real versus fake across the variations (including officers badges) to help anyone else with the same question.

Regards

Mark
    5th Royal Irish Lancers cap badge, knowledge needed!!5th Royal Irish Lancers cap badge, knowledge needed!!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There are a few badges that I would like to buy, but never see examples I am willing to part with money for, I just cannot tell the wheat from the chaff with some badges.

As you say, most badges are obviously good or bad, but a few for me are not.....Denbigh, some versions of the pembroke yeo etc.

It took me ages to find an example of the glamorgan yeo that I liked and bought it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.