Here is quite a rare item;

In Scottish regiments it was tradition for the Adjt of a battalion to wear a peaked (visor) cap rather than the Glengarry and as the cap badges of the Scots infantry regiments are much larger than most a smaller version was required. I am not sure of the actual timeframe but I believe it to have been circa the Victorian period when a dark blue cap with a diced band similar to that of the Scot Guards was worn until circa the end of WWII by which time a khaki SD cap was worn.

If anyone has more information about this I would be pleased to hear it.

Anyway, this is the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders adjutants badge from circa WWII. Rather than lugs it has a slider which is maker marked and is cast nickel. Some sources suggest that it was also worn by officers of field rank (Major and above) but I do not believe that. Either way that would make it a rare badge ranging in number per battalion from 1 to approx 6.

I show it here alongside a standard Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders badge for size comparison.

Again, any further information and or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Adjutant cap badgeArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Adjutant cap badgeArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Adjutant cap badgeArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Adjutant cap badge