Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders hallmarked silver pagri (Pugaree) badge

Article about: Here is another recent addition. The design is the same as the collar badge of A&SH but it was worn as a pagri badge on the pith helmet and slouch hat. This one would be for an officer a

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders hallmarked silver pagri (Pugaree) badge

Here is another recent addition.

The design is the same as the collar badge of A&SH but it was worn as a pagri badge on the pith helmet and slouch hat.

This one would be for an officer as it is in hallmarked silver with applique cyphers.

The hallmark is for Edinburgh 1914 and the maker mark appears to be BT although it is unclear and I haven't managed to track down a maker using BT in the period.

I am not entirely convinced that this one is not actually a sweetheart brooch as in addition to the pin it has a small loop for a security chain which is to me indicative of a brooch or lapel badge.

If it is a pagri badge the date would suggest possible units as; 1st/5th Battalion of the Territorial Force (Cape Helles 1915 then Egypt 1916)

or
    12th (Service) Battalion (Salonika 1915).

Either way I added it because it is such a nice, well made piece.

Regards

Mark

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders hallmarked silver pagri (Pugaree) badgeArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders hallmarked silver pagri (Pugaree) badge
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Always liked the Argyll and Bolton Wanderers!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Always liked the Argyll and Bolton Wanderers!
    AKA "The Swinging Six" because of the six tassles on their sporran worn with the kilt

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders hallmarked silver pagri (Pugaree) badge
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a fine looking badge.