This is an appeal for info from our Australian members;

I have the badge shown here in my collection mainly because it relates to an affiliation to The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

I believe that this badge was worn from 1948 - 53 although the Byron Scottish Regiment served in France during WWI before serving as a a home defence unit in WWII. There followed several reorganisations and amalgamations in the post war years (as was the case in the British Army) until today I believe the descendant unit is the Royal Queensland Regiment.

The badge itself is very similar to that of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and is marked for the maker Stokes as have been many Australian badges. It has an electroplated silver semi matt finish but I cannot see any clue as to the base metal (I would expect it to be brass). It is roughly the same dimensions as the Argylls badge but is noticeably heavier than British "hard metal" types and it has three lugs on the reverse rather than the typical British two lugs.

If anyone can any timeline and history notes for this regiment I would be grateful.

All comment or opinion on the badge is welcome of course.

I also need to find a decent Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada badge too. I don't think there is a NZ affilited unit is there?

Regards

Mark
Australian Byron Scottish cap badgeAustralian Byron Scottish cap badge