Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian and South African badges

Article about: There was an older gentleman at the show who had quite a few British and Commenwealth badges. I'd been looking for an Aussie badge for a while. It seems on the small side, so I thought it wa

Default Australian and South African badges

There was an older gentleman at the show who had quite a few British and Commenwealth badges. I'd been looking for an Aussie badge for a while. It seems on the small side, so I thought it was a collar insignia, but he was sure it was for the side cap, it measures 40mm from end to end on the ribbon and 28mm high. I couldn't get a clear picture of the back, but it's marked HARENDSEN MELB I took a pic of this through my magnifying glass, that was as close as I could get with any of my cameras. He thought it was ww 1.

Then he added to this for free, he thought it was New Zealand, I thought Rhodesia because of the Eland, or anteloope. After some searching, it's South African, ww 2 26mm across I couldn't find any marking on the back. Something else to put with my SA medals

Australian and South African badgesAustralian and South African badges
    Australian and South African badgesAustralian and South African badges

Default Re: Australian and South African hat badges

Nice Aussie badge. You are right its a collar tab badge and I would say from WW2. Decent condition to. Your right on the other as well, being South African.

Both are nice badges.

Cheers
    Jason

Default Re: Australian and South African badges

Thanks Jason, I thought it seemed small even for a side cap. I've just started looking for the larger one for the slouch hat. There isn't much in my area as far as that goes. There's a military collectors show next month, hopefully I'll have some luck there.

Nice score. I have a few Aussie collars and a cap rising sun.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I had too much fun at the show, so while I'm eating my Ramen noodles for the next couple weeks, I can get to putting a few things in a more permanent display. Now I'll need some Aussie WW 2 medals to add though. Such a dilemna