Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades

Article about: Whilst most will associate the glengarry cap with Scots regiments not every one realises that it was worn by most British regiments during the last half of the 19th century and in some cases

Default British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades

Whilst most will associate the glengarry cap with Scots regiments not every one realises that it was worn by most British regiments during the last half of the 19th century and in some cases into the 20th century.

Each regiment had a specific glengarry badge differing in varying degree from that worn in other headdress.

I have always found the flaming grenade design used by fusilier regiments quite striking especially this type that followed the 1881 Childers reforms which reorganised the infantry of the line with the old numbered regiments becoming the named regiments more commonly recognised today.

The glengarry badges as a whole are often referred to as "Victorian" which is only partly accurate because (the numbered badges) were worn before the Victorian period and many were worn after into the reigns of E VII R, G V R, G VI R and even E II R in the case of The Royal Scots Fusiliers. The glengarry badges are similar in design to the fur cap grenades which differ slightly in shape and more so in quality of material and finish.

The ones I show here have the smaller SD cap badges shown for scale where relevant.

I am still looking for good examples of The Northumberland Fusiliers and The Royal Fusiliers items so if anyone knows where either might be lurking please let me know.

All comments are welcome and if you have more to show (earlier types too) please add them here.
    If anyone is inclined to start a seperate thread for non-fusilier glengarry badges that would be great.

Regards

Mark
    PS I don't know why there are two images of the reverse of The Dublin Fusiliers as they were the wrong way round so I changed them around and deleted the extra reverse image but it stayed put. If a Mod could remove the extra reverse image that would be good as it might confuse!

Lancashire Fusiliers
    British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenadesBritish Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades

Royal Welsh Fusiliers
    British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenadesBritish Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Royal Scots fusiliers (later Royal Highland Fusiliers when amalgamated with The Highland Light Infantry in 1959 1st badge is brass 2nd is anodised aluminium. Note slight difference in shape of crown)
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-10-2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

the only one I have of this type is for the RWF, but I also have an officers glengarry for the 3rd VB the Welsh regiment dating to 1881-1896
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades   British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades  

British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    the only one I have of this type is for the RWF, but I also have an officers glengarry for the 3rd VB the Welsh regiment dating to 1881-1896
    Thanks for the input Jerry!

I like that 3rd VB badge, is it silver?

I have looked at a couple of officers fusilier grenades recently but they are a bit on the expensive side with most being in three figures which of course is "high end" for British badges!

However, the RWF and RIF officers grenades are very attractive so "watch this space" as the saying goes.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to include all Glengarry badges rather than just the fusilier ones. What do members think?

Fakes in this area are becoming more common so we could use a bit of a reference here. With that in mind get posting lads and let's see what's out there

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Queen's (City of Edinburgh) Rifle Volunteer Brigade.

OK, let's do the whole Glengarry thing rather than just fusiliers.

I posted this one before but it probably should be in here;

This unit eventually became part of the Royal Scots and like many such units went through a period as a searchlight regiment during WWII.

British Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenadesBritish Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenadesBritish Army fusilier regiment glengarry grenades

That the whole cap and badge are black with no other colour is indicative of the "Rifles" status of the unit.

Regards

Mark

CBH
    ?

Very interesting thread, I know little about British badges, but I’m always ready to learn something new. Keep up the great work.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I also have an officers glengarry for the 3rd VB the Welsh regiment dating to 1881-1896
    It just occurred to me Jerry that I am not certain of how the leather band and silk band Glengarry caps fit into the timeline. Do you know the introduction date of either? I ask because I have seen both types with either earlier or later cap badges which is likely to have happened with later badges and earlier caps (or even an earlier badge on a later cap is not totally incredible with caps as well as badges being replaced during an individual soldiers career) plus the muddying effect of a battalion perhaps being on overseas service when a change was made (viz the black silk "flash" on the rear of the collar in RWF tradition). I would just like to have a better understanding and I know you do collect whole headress items whilst I tend to (or at least try) confirm my habit to just the badges.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-11-2021 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Typo

I believe leather was a wartime economy measure introduced in 1915
    Regards,

Jerry

The welsh vb badge has a cast white metal centre and a silver or silver plated outer ring
    Regards,

Jerry