Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British Mug

Article about: Guys, Have any of you see a North Africa Mug? It is very detailed and is a very neat piece. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Default British Mug

Guys,
    Have any of you see a North Africa Mug? It is very detailed and is a very neat piece.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    British  MugBritish  MugBritish  MugBritish  Mug

Are there any marks on the bottom of it?

There is an example in the Imperial War Museum;

Brass-coloured tankard (H 11cm x diameter 11.5cm), engraved with a map of the Mediterranean sea and surrounding area featuring scenes depicting the fighting in Italy 1943-1945. The tankard is inscribed "BRASS USED IN THE MANUFACTURE OF THIS TANKARD WAS SALVAGED FROM THE BATTLEFIELDS OF WORLD WAR II".

Arrow

I have an identical one and (just for once) I know the 'provenance'.

A close friend inherited this in his Father's estate some years ago. His Dad served in the RAF in the late 1940s at RAF Habbaniyah in Iraq, and bought one of these in a local bazaar. Apparently, they were a popular 'souvenir' for British servicemen at the time. There are no markings on the base but it's nicely engraved. As to whether it's made of 'battlefield brass'.....well, I wouldn't place a strong bet on it.....

British  Mug

Outstanding, thanks! Now I at least know where it is from. Thought middle east but not sure which country. I have seen the same thing done in Bosnian in the shops there. Thanks again.