Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Cameronian scottish rifles badge

Article about: I have had this badge for over 50 years. I have tried to find a similar one online, but what I have seen, seems to be slightly different. I think that this is an early 1900 badge, but it wou

?

Default Cameronian scottish rifles badge

I have had this badge for over 50 years. I have tried to find a similar one online, but what I have seen, seems to be slightly different. I think that this is an early 1900 badge, but it would be very nice if somebody can advise me. Cameronian scottish rifles badgeCameronian scottish rifles badge

First of all I should point out that these pictures are far too small and poorly focussed to be able to make an even 50% accurate assessment of authenticity.

However, in terms of the configuration of the badge it looks like the blackened brass (because this was a "Rifle" regiment hence the stringed bugle too) version worn in the "Glengarry" cap during the period 1898 - 1921 therefore, a WWI badge plus a few years either side. There was a similar white metal version towards the end of that period and all subsequent strikes were in white metal.

The badge should be approximately 7cm at the widest point and should have two soldered lugs on the back.

As I said, these pictures are nowhere near good enough to comment on authenticity and badges to regiments of that period especially Scottish Regiments are heavily faked so I would advise getting someone local to you who is well versed in British badges to inspect it in hand.

If it is authentic you have a very nice historical piece from a regiment with a fearsome reputation in the field and out of it. They were troublesome and aggressive in barracks at home and were nicknamed "The Poison Dwarves" because most of them were below average height.

There is an old wives tale that claims that when the regiment was disbanded in 1968 it was because of ill-discipline and unruly behaviour. This is un-true and they were one of two regiments who voted to be disbanded rather than amalgamated with another in a defence review of the time.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark

PS At further viewing I think this is more likely very patinated white metal but more larger and clearer images will confirm.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-06-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Can you tell anything about where this badge came from, where it was found etc?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you for your information. I will take some new photos and I will post them. The actual size is 6 cm wide. The metal is brass. The badge is part of a collection which I bought over 50 years ago. The regiment was based in Malta and this where the badge has come from. There is a lot of grime and dust on the back of the badge, but this how I will leave it.

?

The badge came from Malta. I have had this for over 50 years. There used to be a small shop selling stamps and military badges in Valletta which was a very short distance from the Main Guard in front of the Palace. There was a bar near the Main Guard and the walls of the bar were totally covered in military badges. That was something of the past.

?

Default Cameron scottish rifles shoulder badges

I Have attached further photos. Under close examination under a magnifying glass there is traces of black, confirming that at one time this badge was black Cameronian scottish rifles badgeCameronian scottish rifles badgeCameronian scottish rifles badgeCameronian scottish rifles badge

Those are much better pics albeit still a little on the small size.
    As you say, the rear of the badge confirms that this was once blacked. Note that it is not paint but a blackening by chemical oxidisation which is similar to the blueing/browning of firearms.

Black cap badges are a sign of "rifle" regiments also commonly known as Light Infantry which is a concept originating in the Napoleonic Wars and Sir John Moore.

The way it is manifest on this badge, with the front having been cleaned and the reverse showing remains of the blackening suggests to me an original badge as the work involved in faking this would be prohibitive!

You have a nice example there.
    I bet that bar in Malta is still there too. Did Naval service take you there by any chance?

Regards

Mark

?

Thank you for your information. I am Maltese and was born in Malta in St. Julians. The bar in Valletta is not there anymore. All these old bars are all gone except with one or two still left. One of the more renowned one is Jessie Bar in St. Andrews which is in front of the ex British Army barracks. Every year you have ex servicemen meeting there for their reunions. Another one Aussie Bar on the other side of the island. The Royal Marines stationed in St. Andrews used to come round from St. George's Bay which was the next bay and ram their aluminium boats are the jetty and challenge the local hobby fishermen for a wrestle. Loser gets all the beer. The fishermen's boathouses used to adorned with Pith hats, Scottish hats and badges. You name it. Thank you again.