Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Article about: A Christmas gift from the wife are these two different examples of Cameronian (Scottish Rifles) cap badges; 1. A Victorian blackened bronze type. The black finnish is an applied lacquer (Jap

Default The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

A Christmas gift from the wife are these two different examples of Cameronian (Scottish Rifles) cap badges;

1. A Victorian blackened bronze type. The black finish is an applied lacquer (Japlac I think) and the central star is quite deep when compared to the later white metal type.

2. A WWI cast and silver plated Sergeants badge. In addition to being of higher quality the Sergeants badge is a half inch larger than the OR's types.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were formed as part of the Childers Reforms of 1881 by amalgamation of the 26th Cameron Regiment and the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry.

The badge consists of a thistle wreath, typical of Scottish heraldry, with a stringed bugle at the bottom which is a symbol of all Light Infantry (originating from the Napoleonic period). The "star" is not intended to represent a celestial body but is more correctly called by the heraldic term "spur rowel" (or roundel) which is the rotating sharp piece on the end of a riding spur. It is also referred to as the Douglas star as it comes from the Clan Douglas coat of arms.

In 1958 the regiment became part of the short lived Lowland Brigade and was obliged to adopt that most unpopular generic badge until 1968 when faced with a further round of amalgamations they became one of only two British regiments to choose to be disbanded instead, the other being the York & Lancaster Regt.

During the 1960s they acquired the nickname "The Poison Dwarves" which was not popular in the regiment as it was derisive but it has stuck and is remembered well today.

The pictures show the two badges I mention above whilst the fifth shows a comparison with the 1915 economy blackened brass and the standard WWI - 1958 white metal OR's badge. The 1915 economy badge has a noticably thicker thistle wreath but that is a variation seen in the white metal type too. There is also an anodised aluminium type worn by Territorial Reserves until very recently and of course a top of the range hallmarked solid silver officers badge which will have to wait until next Christmas perhaps!

On the Glengarry cap the badge as with other Scottish regiments is worn on a silk ribbon rosette as in the first picture. On the Tam O' Shanter (TOS to modern troops) it would be on a square of Douglas tartan.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
    In this comparison the 1915 brass version looks to be as big as the Sergeants badge. It isn't but it is quite flat compared to the others and is very slightly larger than the other two. This however is not a design feature but a difference between dies wheareas the Sergenats badge is specified as larger by design.

Regards

Mark
    PS See below the Lowland Brigade badge. Hideous isn't it?

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-25-2020 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very cool watchdog. Nice to see the changes over time! Certainly done your homework for the Cameronians.

Here’s my variation of the Cameronian badge. Obvious difference is the inclusion of the kings crown

This badge was found on this belt (or pouch) on the chest on a pre war uniform. Best of all got this for £2 at an antiques shop!

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Yep, the crossbelt badge is a seperate piece of insignia in itself. Just the badge alone for £2 is an absolute steal! Do you mean you got the belt too or more?

Regards

Mark

Ps can you show a picture of the reverse of the badge please?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Nah I don’t have the belt unfortunately. The antique shop guy just had a huge box of Mostly British modern badges and insignia with a few old ones and this badge almost slipped by me but my dad noticed it was different from the usual Cameronian badge (context my dad ain’t a militaria collector rather he was in the Gordon highlanders so he just has knowledge on Scottish military stuff in general)

Here’s the reverse picture. Merry Christmas by the way! Things must be slow in general if I am here posting old badges hahah

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Nah I don’t have the belt unfortunately. The antique shop guy just had a huge box of Mostly British modern badges and insignia with a few old ones and this badge almost slipped by me but my dad noticed it was different from the usual Cameronian badge (context my dad ain’t a militaria collector rather he was in the Gordon highlanders so he just has knowledge on Scottish military stuff in general)

Here’s the reverse picture. Merry Christmas by the way! Things must be slow in general if I am here posting old badges hahah
    Nothing wrong with "old badges" mate! Many here collect nothing else (this means TR collectors too )

Even on its' own this was still and absolute bargain!! The average retail can be 20 x what you paid for it assuming it is real (I am pretty sure as one can be from pics like this that it is). Re-strikes are out there but are usually one piece (yours is two, note the join where the spur rowel or star is superimposed), very shiny and covered with metal polish residue to make them look used.

Do some online research and dismiss the ones in the £80 range as too dear even if genuine then you will have an idea of how well you have done.

As I say, it looks right in these pictures but maybe get someone with knowledge to examine it in hand to make sure. I only collect cap badges or I might be pestering you over this one

Regards

Mark

?

Thanks for giving your two cents on the piece! Never thought about it being fake but In hand it feels old and well made so I don’t feel too worried about it being fake. I might take better quality photos at some point.

Hey mate hopefully I haven’t derailed this thread. If I ever find another one of these badges again locally for 2 quid I will hand it over to you!

Lovely scottish badges shown, they really are a field of study of their own
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It's a very striking badge design. I've always like that bugle symbol.