Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anybody help me out with this US flag with safety pins?

Article about: Dear forum members! I could use your valued opinion on this 48 star US flag with safety pin I have. I have had this for about 2 years now and I decided to ask you as I am not quite sure. Is

Default Can anybody help me out with this US flag with safety pins?

Dear forum members!

I could use your valued opinion on this 48 star US flag with safety pin I have. I have had this for about 2 years now and I decided to ask you as I am not quite sure. Is this patch a WWII era flag? So I would like to ask you for your valued opinions and expertise regarding this flag. Looking forward in hearing from you.

Thank you and have a great day and stay safe!

Frank

Can anybody help me out with this US flag with safety pins?Can anybody help me out with this US flag with safety pins?

?

I've seen these sold are invasion flags, but I highly doubt that many of them truly are. I had a bunch almost identical to this that came from a legion post. They had wooded rods attached by staples to hold the flags.

Thank you so much for your comment.

- - ------- - -

What is a legion post if I may ask?

The American Legion which is similar to the VFW (Veterans Of Foreign Wars).. is a Veterans Organization. There are Legion Posts and VFW posts around the United States. These organizations which are Veteran run are involved in a lot of community programs which help Veterans and others. The Poppy Drives and Purple Heart Ribbon (Poppy) Drives are fund raising events that Legion members and VFW members do each year to help those in need. There are also Women's Auxiliary organizations in both the Legion and VFW...

Agree that this flag was most likely not used as an Invasion Armband... Although I do have a grouping from a paratrooper who jumped across the Rhine and included in his items was a similar flag with steel safety pins attached to the flag...

Check along the left seam of the flag to see if there are any staple punctures... They will be on the blue field side of the flag...

Smitty

Thank you so much for your comment! i just checked the flag no staple puncture what so ever and it does not light up under UV light.

Frank,

Keep in mind that the 48 star US flags were around from 1912 (when Arizona and New Mexico became states) to 1959 (47 years) and this 48 star printed flag may have seen service in WW2 but there is really no way in telling,, but I would have to agree with Gel65 that without any rock solid provenance this is just a US 48 star flag that has 2 steel safety type pins attached...Still a great addition to the collection...

It is a good representation of what would have been correct for the WW2 era...

Smitty
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 04-23-2020 at 02:48 AM.

Hi Smitty,

Thank you again for your comment. I am currently rebuilding my website D-Day, Normandy and beyond and I am trying to achieve a small collection. I met quite a few veterans who gave me items. In honor of the veterans I met I try to make my collection as Genuine as possible. The flag will be investigated further. But the safety are old. But I have no idea on the provenance as stated by you and Gel65.

Thank you so much for your expertise! Means a lot to a total newbie.

Frank

The long time dram is to open a tiny museum combining the stories given to me by the veterans and a few small items per story. (American, British, Canadian, Dutch, German, Polish, Russian, French)

Dram = dream

Could it be possible to date the safety pins? I found a picture of a WW2 era safety-pin that is a spitting image of the safety-pins I have on the flag.
    Can anybody help me out with this US flag with safety pins?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast