Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you ID this Tank badge?

Article about: I would guess this is British, because it says "Fear Naught' on it, and it has a Crown. But what I do not understand, is the use for the rather large clip on the back. Any ideas? Thanks

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Can you ID this Tank badge?

I would guess this is British, because it says "Fear Naught' on it, and it has a Crown. But what I do not understand, is the use for the rather large clip on the back. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. The badge is not quite 5 cm long.
    Attached Images Attached Images Can you ID this Tank badge?  Can you ID this Tank badge? 

Default Re: Can you ID this Tank badge?

Quote by odessa1 View Post
    I would guess this is British, because it says "Fear Naught' on it, and it has a Crown. But what I do not understand, is the use for the rather large clip on the back. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. The badge is not quite 5 cm long.
    It's a British Army cap/hat/ beret badge for RTR (Royal Tank Regt) or RTC (Royal Tank Corps) with the Kings crown,

Kings Crown Badge as worn in WWII, But in service from 1924 to 1953

hope this helps

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by JMB View Post
    It's a British Army cap/hat/ beret badge for RTR (Royal Tank Regt) Kings crown, hope this helps
    It has a WW 1 tank, so is it safe to assume it is from WW 1? I've learned you can REALLY assume nothing...

The WW1 badge was made of brass, and actually faced the other way, never assume as it makes an ass out of u and me
    The first pattern was worn from 1917-1924, 2nd pattern (which yours is) 1924-1953. Then it changed to the queens crown (top dips in) from 1953 onwards. The WW1 tank is just British heritage We like to show our traditions in the Army

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Thanks for the info!

?

The tank represents the MK 1 the first tank ever used in combat on 15/9/1916 at Flers during the Battle of the Somme
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

To answer your question about the Clip, the badge was fastened onto the cap or beret by inserting the ‘clip’ into a small slit on the cap/beret.
    It differed in some regiments, for example the Royal Signals used two circular lugs and a split pin to fasten the badge

The "clip" is called a "slider" in British collecting terminology. Many cap badges can be found with this or the split pin type fastening depending on the maker. By the way, the Royal Corps of Signals badge can also be found with a slider. Here is one from my collection along with a Royal Tank Regt cap badge with the other type of fitting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can you ID this Tank badge?   Can you ID this Tank badge?  

Can you ID this Tank badge?   Can you ID this Tank badge?  

?

Correct, it was and is [I assume, it's a long time since I had to bother about it] a bloody nuisance for bending and snapping.

Indeed, they can snap off if bent too much!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast