Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

CBI lot

Article about: Hi everyone. Received these gems which include a China Burma India, Chinese Combat Training Command patches, and the booklet for my bday back in February, but due to the beginning of the war

?

Default CBI lot

Hi everyone.

Received these gems which include a China Burma India, Chinese Combat Training Command patches, and the booklet for my bday back in February, but due to the beginning of the war in Ukraine, I wasn’t able to show them earlier.

I wish you all a great weekend.

CBI lot

CBI lot CBI lot

SovPha

?

Very cool never seen the combat training patch

?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Very cool never seen the combat training patch
    I made also a small video on youtube related to my US patches. Check it out.

Hi SovPha

Thats a nice collection.

I looked at your video , the CBI Patches are Indian made , however the leather will be made of goat leather , supple and thin and will not be made from cow hide , cows are sacred in India.

Im unsure of what you meant by silk , silk patches were made only in China in CBI , I cant see any silk made CBI in your collection, maybe you are thinking the ribbon one which is Indian made.

Your 1st ID is post war 1960's pre 65 Vietnam era polyester thread ,69th ID could be anywhere from 1945-1955 however I think yours is WWII era.

Your mission to Moscow , the one they used was the narrow border or Russian theatre made, the wider Border was made for Patch collectors c 1945-1946 .

Chinese Combat Trainning Command all most all are Chinese made of silk and the US made is regarded as made for collectors c 1945-1946

Just like Merrils Marauders , you will mainly see Photo images of theatre made however there is one well known image of a GI wearing a US made example.

It was quicker to get Local made patches in theatre than wait on US made patches from the States which was not a prioritized Item and also patches tended to wear out a lot quicker in the CBI climate and were cheaper to make and better quality for Garrison Ike jackets.

During the war , in the US, there were collector clubs that were buying and selling patches (c 1944-196) , the most well known was Patch King , who brought 10's of thousands of boxes of 200 patches in a box and sold patches in Patch Albums for collectors , which was a patriotic flag waving American support for the troops.

The rare patches were remade again as they had all been issued and werent many insupply rooms and if there were , harder to get. So some were remade and sold.

Collecting US patches are complex and one needs to know the history of the unit , where it was stationed , what happened during occupation periods Germany, Japan, Italy and many other places that GI's had patches made.

It also pays to know the differance between Polyester, Rayon , silk and the materiel US patches were embroidered on.

I too have in my collection Mission to Moscow wide border and have it as made for collectors, again the narrow border is the one to have and or theatre made. There were other Mission to Moscow patches that were theatre made.

Below is from March 1945 Roy Paris catalogue and below is 1st ID WWII.

CBI lot
    CBI lot
    CBI lot
    CBI lotCBI lot

Now with all that said you have a nice collection.

Phill

?

Hello, Phill,

Thank you for your feedback and review. This is what I call a great collector who assists. Big Shout to you .

Are you as well on usmilitarifoum? If I have questions related to patches, may I reach out to you?

Once again, Thank you for your support.

Best regards,
    SovPha

PM sent